How much wood for Regency CI2600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mar 16, 2014
MO
About how much wood are you guys burning in your CI2600? I recently bought one am trying to determine how much wood to buy (it is dry). I have a 1300 sq ft house built in 78. we burn through the day but not at night typically, just an idea of our burning habits. Live in Missouri so milder winters compared to many of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know much about that stove but I will say that it depends more on the heat loss/retention of the house, how insulated it is etc. Going by average in mild weather and 1300 sq ft house I will say between 3 to 4 cords of wood. If you don't burn 24/7 possibly less?

I was going to guess that given the location, part-time operation more like 2-3 cords if burning good hardwood like osage orange and the house temp is kept closer to 70 than 80.

There are alot of variables to what your asking. Like heat loss in your home, how warm you will keep it... the warmer the more wood.. the kind of wood your burning.. oak has more BTUs than say cherry. So insted of gussing, why dony you figure it out. This is how i did it. For example i will use December. My firebox is 2.3 cuft
Butning at night....
31 days x 2.3 = 71 cuft÷128=.55 cords burned at night for the month of december... roughly
For the day time
31 days x 3.4 cuft = 106 cuft= .83 cords
The 3.4 is my firebox filled aprox 1.5 times through the day
71+106= 177 cuft or 1.38 cords for the month. Look at a callender and determin your burning days for the months you will need to heat. This will get you close. Then order more wood than you figured, and youll be set...

Reactions: snaple4 and Raoul
If you have the storage space and the funds (if you’re paying for wood) over order. It will keep until next year, and the next and the next.

Never a bad thing to have too much firewood :)

Reactions: kborndale
I have a Regency H2100M (so not an insert), roughly similar square footage (with cathedral ceilings) and a not-so greatly insulated home built nine years after yours. Up here during a typical winter I was going through roughly four cords a season burning close to 24/7. This past winter I was over seven cords. All wood burned is seasoned hardwood (no softwoods).

As others have said, there are so many variables it's tough to compare one location to another but hopefully that helps somewhat from another Regency owner.

The attached could give you an indication of usage throughout the year.
"Here", we go through about 4 cord/yr.
2000ftsq, well insulated, 2009 year built.
Adjust for your situation.
Could be broken down as to usage by month.
I set aside a certain amount for the milder months, very cold months, then back to mild.
For those interested degreedays.net will give you a report to start with.

Watertown, WI has about 7000HDD.
Kansas City, MO has about 5000HDD.
Just based on that, you would be at 2.5-3 cord, similar to what Begreen mentioned.

upload_2019-8-21_7-27-40.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I would buy more than you anticipate, so that you have the option to continue using stove as long as you want as opposed to running out. My first year burning, I ran out of good wood in January. Thus began a wild goose for good wood which didn’t pan out. If you have a good wood source now, I’d really stockpile. My original dry wood seller went awol mid winter and I was left with no option but to burn wood with high moisture content, which was a bad experience.