How much wood have you burnt so far?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About a cord: birch, poplar, and box elder. Just moved some hickory and oak into the garage. Supposed to
warm up later this week, so may not be burning much.

about a 1/4 cord burning nights and weekends since mid october.

About 1/3 of a cord mostly red oak. Burned 24/7 past week with lows in the teens and windy and highs in the 20's but rt. now the temps are moderating..

Ray

I have ten rows in my woodshed, each about 8' long (less the wall thicknesses) and about 6-7' tall depending on which side of the shed you're on. I call it 0.6 cords per row on average. Most of it is red oak and swamp maple, with a little bit of anything else that's wood thrown in.

I've burned almost one entire row so far, plus a bunch of barrels of "chunk wood" - all the stuff that is wierd shapes, to short to stack, etc - roughly fist size to splits under 12" long. So probably close to a cord.

This is way over my consumption for this time last year. I guess it must be all that global warming....

Gooserider

Ive burned about 35 gallons of oil since early Oct. The past few weeks have been very cold (light snow twice already, hasnt snowed this early in years). Unfortunately I dont have an insert in my fireplace yet (bought the house in April)....I'd much rather burn what ive scrounged and processed than whats in my bank account!

Wish I had the cherry posted above. Some of my wood has seemed to be better than dried. It is light oak, not punky, but very light. Getting into the wood pretty soon, I'll be choosing wood pretty soon between the small and light wood and the larger 8" splits. Most of my overnight burns have given coals in the am, so I'm not too worried about the winter. Just put the cover on the wood for next year, so I hope that will be great as well.
Chad

With this 4 level splilt, I have burned 3 gallons of oil so far for the old oil-fired boiler. It burns max.input 0.75gph, and it has run for a total of 4 hours.

Nothing but softwood to burn here, and no sunlight, or solar after sept,.21, so have burned 1/1/2 cords to date.

Looks like a season of about 5 and a half cords, unless things change drastically.

We live in the middle of a minature forest and only get passive solar from about mid may till mid sept. rest of the time, the sun is too low on the horizon to be of any benefit.

I`m happy :)

I have burned a cord of mostly chunky junky anty hardwood and some real nice oak and ash this past week, i keep cutting so i still have 10 cords of great wood, I spend 10 hours a week cutting splitting stacking and trying not to use my 10 cords until Jan 1, then I hope to only use 5 cords to get through

BucksCoBernie said:
Ive burned about 35 gallons of oil since early Oct. The past few weeks have been very cold (light snow twice already, hasnt snowed this early in years). Unfortunately I dont have an insert in my fireplace yet (bought the house in April)....I'd much rather burn what ive scrounged and processed than whats in my bank account!

yeah... im in the same boat as you. about 80 gallons of oil. i just finished tiles/grouting/sealing the hearth this morning and i dry fit the stove tonight. i cant wait to get this thing roaring, and neither can my 15 cords of wood.

Gone through 5-6 good armloads of 'real' firewood. Otherwise, a bunch of sticks, small limbs, chips from around the splitter and oak scraps from the garage. I'm really glad to be getting rid of all these scraps/twigs/limbs after having them set around all summer, but it's going to be nice to start burning some real firewood, too!

About 2x2x2 of crap wood (scraps/pallets) and maybe a wheelbarrow of real wood.

Since mid-October, we've been burning about 80-90% of the time. Overnight slow burns.
Gone through about 1/3-1/2 cord of Tulip Poplar and Red Oak. Much of the Poplar is junky.

When the fire dies down, I throw in about 4 small splits, about 3"-4" square pieces. This seems to keep a decent amount of heat output without cooking the living room.

We started out burning all the time, because the stove was new, but now, we let the gas furnace maintain the heat unless it's under 40-45 degrees.

Since Oct. I've burned alittle more than half a cord of mixed wood.
Oak, pine, birch etc.
It's been cold here in Jersey, especially last weekend !!
Oh yeah....and about 2 gallons of oil for the basement. I love the fact I don't have to pay for oil anymore !!!!

About 3/4 cord all hardwood. Started Sept. 20 with new EKO heat and hot water. And yes some oil, about 2 Gal. (my bad).

Burned @ 1 cord but the is 74-78F all the time. High of 81 degs low 68 degs since 10/1.

about 1 cord since the middle of October. Have a new born in the house now so I'm feeding the stove the good wood highs in the 30-40's F here in the day 10 the other morning. I just wanta keep the baby warm. Wife said it was cold in the house today 74 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.