How much wood in pickup truck load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulgp602

Jan 7, 2006
Hi, Would anyone care to guess how much wood is in a 8ft truck bed with a truck cap on it? The wood is unsplit 18" sections of maple/oak ranging from 12-15" in diameter. The truck will be packed to the max. I got a price of $80 plus $20 delivery fee. Sounds reasonable to me, but want to check. I am in CT in an Urban area, so wood is somewhat pricey. Thanks in advance.

A full-size pick-up bed will hold slightly less than a half cord if the wood is thrown in, not stacked. I'm guessing that if it's stacked, you're looking at half a cord. My Ford Ranger will hold about a face cord (1/3-cord) of unsplit wood if it's stacked two feet high.

So, it sounds to me like you're buying $200/cord wood.

Put extra air in the tires

How much I put in my Dakota is directly proportional to how far I have to drive it.
I picked up a load of free Maple last week right near work and I know I could have put in more but with a 40 mile drive ahead of me I didnt want to push it.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know that it would only be 1/2 to 3/4 a cord once split! I will have to cancel the delivery and shop around. How much is a reasonable price to pay for a pickup truck (8ft bed) full unsplit? I am in an area where full cords split are $175 apiece.

I've tried buying by the pickup load, but you can't trust it. No matter what people say you just can't properly quantify how much you're supposed to get. A cord is a nice measured amount and you can recreate it with ease to know if you got shorted. Do yourself a favor, buy by the cord.

I can get 3/4 to 1 full cord in my F-250 8' box if I stack it neatly, and have extention rails on the side. Thrown in its around 1/2 cord.

I get about 1/2-3/4 cord in a F250 ford

The full size P/U with canopy (cap) will hold 1 cord of split wood STACKED. If wood is in the rounds it could be split to over a cord. Canopy will add 18" to sides on average.
Thomas

If I'm careful, I can get about 1/2 cord split in a f150 with a short (6'5") box and cap. Main issue gets to be weight. Obviously varies widely depending on the condition of the wood, but i usually figure about 1000lbs per face cord for recently cut wood.

Steve

NW Fuels said:
The full size P/U with canopy (cap) will hold 1 cord of split wood STACKED. If wood is in the rounds it could be split to over a cord. Canopy will add 18" to sides on average.
Thomas

With red oak, that would be 5,700 pounds, or just shy of 3 tons. Do you really want to put that much weight on a one-ton pickup?

Eric Johnson said:
NW Fuels said:
Thomas

With red oak, that would be 5,700 pounds, or just shy of 3 tons. Do you really want to put that much weight on a one-ton pickup?

Yikes! that's heavy! Are you sure about those numbers? I found 1 full cord of red oak weighs 3757 lbs, according to The Chimney Sweep Online. But I don't know if its dry or wet wood. Still very heavy for an ordinary 3/4 to 1 ton pickup. You would need the right tires, extra springs, or helpers to haul safely.

Actually, a green cord of red oak weighs about 5,500 lb. The other number was for 1,000 board feet of green red oak lumber.

My chart says about 3,700 pounds for a cord of air dried (20% mc) red oak.

Paul, if you have someone that's trustworthy with great references than buy away.... but a pickup load will normally cost more and you just don't know how much you're going to get. As you can see from these posts, some people have bigger trucks than others and even beyond the volume of wood the truck can hold some trucks just can't carry the weight. Good luck!

So the question appears to be:

How much wood
Would a woodchuck truck
If a woodchuck
Would truck wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.