how much wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband had a wood stove in college, I hadn't really thought about comparing that usage to the new stove due to the new technology. Anyway, upon some memory prodding we figure he went through about 2 cords (the wood yard was about 4x8x8 and we filled it each fall) -mixture of scrap from a pallet co, cottonwood and ash) heating an old leaking trailer with a crappy old stove basically 24/7 in a more severe part of Montana than we are now. I'm no longer concerned about heating our small, well insulated home with a more efficient stove during awake hours.

Some people really use 7 cords? Wow.

goldfishcastle said:

In our sixties the shared body heat from the college days has been replaced by firewood. :lol: We keep this joint in the low seventies year around and around the clock.

goldfishcastle said:

I have 7 cords under a roof within 25 feet of my stove and another 10+ cord heap that can be pulled from if needed. My experience was that running out of dry wood in the middle of the heating season is undesirable at best. The best you are going to buy at that point in my area is frozen green wood.

If you don't mind using your NG heat source, a safety stock isn't that important. Otherwise, be very conservative in your planning.

Attachments

• woodshed.jpg
    woodshed.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 258
nice pic S&W;

Stevebass4 said:
nice pic S&W;

Thanks...finished stacking it yesterday morning

Ratman said:
SolarAndWood that pic is not fair man.
:)
OMG GOT WOOD?

You are much too kind.

S&W;why do you split the stuff so small?

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to rain on his parade. :cheese:

Especially with the BK on the way. It looks like you've got a lifetime supply of kindling!

BrotherBart said:
S&W;why do you split the stuff so small?

I am still in the getting ahead game and wanted to make sure it was dry. This stuff was bucked last summer/fall and not split until March/April. If any side was more than 8 inches, it got split again. Seems to have done the trick as it was nice and light when I stacked it. As I get ahead a few years, I may back off a bit.

I thought it may have been split for a cook stove.

LLigetfa said:
I thought it may have been split for a cook stove.

lol...our stove usually has soup, chili, broth or something on it but its primary function is heat. My wife is also much happier to load the stove with smaller splits and the little ones like to help stack.

Your kids like to help you stack? Can I borrow them?

wendell said:
Your kids like to help you stack? Can I borrow them?

God has certainly blessed me with two wonderful girls who love to be part of whatever I'm doing. The 9 year old was up on the 8 foot step ladder tucking the top splits in last weekend. Saved me some climbing in the heat.

Once you start heating with wood, there is no going back. Its very addictive. Got my insert last fall and had about 3 1/2 cords. I thought that was enough, but ran out by end of Feb. I was burning 24/7 the wife is home all day to feed my baby, and the kids. I also got 1/3 a pallet of envi 8s. If you run out of wood this winter, you can get some Bio Bricks, Envi Blocks, Liberty Bricks, Ect. to keep the flame going. If those products are avalible in your area. I got 6 cords this year ready to go. Wood is Good...

wendell said:
It looks like you've got a lifetime supply of kindling!

I forgot the angle I took the pic from...the stuff in the foreground is a cord or so of pine I scrounged a couple months ago and split as kindling/quick heat wood. The rest of it is split much larger.

I was just remembering back to this old post. We're just finishing up our first full winter of wood heat in Montana. We used right at 2 cords (but had a 3rd on hand JIC). I guess my original math with BTUs and such wasn't so bad after all :)

Thanks for the comments though - it provided good insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.