How often should you replace the black pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jason721

Nov 4, 2017
southern indiana
In a discussion with a fellow I work with he mentioned he had to install some new black pipe for his stove. He said he replaces his every two years if it needs it or not..
which got me thinking how often should the black pipe be replaced or the even a class A chimney?

Reactions: Birdbrain
Class a never. Single wall needs to changed when the corrosion has weakened it too much. How can you tell? Great question. I plan to try and squeeze mine occasionally but honestly it’s holding up better than expected.

If I planned on replacing it every two years then I would just upgrade to double wall interior pipe which is stainless steel inside and a lifetime pipe.

If you have a chimney fire or external damage then that may have caused damage requiring replacement.

Also if you burn driftwood that would shorten the life.

I'm on the second season with what I have now, and it looks just fine; no corrosion inside or out. I think that my dad is on year 4-5 with his out of his older stove without any problems. Neither one gets any special care. I use a chimney brush to get out the fly ash when my draft weakens (once last season), I think my dad uses a wire brush inside of his once or twice a year for the same reason.

I expect it will corrode from the inside and not be visible or apparent until the structure of the pipe weakens. Poke it, squeeze it, wack it with your palm. That’s probably why some people just replace it, they aren’t sure how to know when it’s fine.

Mine is on its fifth year in a shop that is often cold. It “seems” fine?

I expect it will corrode from the inside and not be visible or apparent until the structure of the pipe weakens. Poke it, squeeze it, wack it with your palm. That’s probably why some people just replace it, they aren’t sure how to know when it’s fine.

Mine is on its fifth year in a shop that is often cold. It “seems” fine?

That makes sense. I do test the structure of mine each time I disassemble for cleaning, which has been at least 2 times a year for the past two. I wonder if brushing it out and coating the inside with cooking spray or drain oil after the burning season would extend the life. My stove (and the piping, of course) is in the basement, so it gets damp over the summer, and there wouldn't be any protection on the inside from the moisture and resulting rust.

From reading on the coal forums, it seems that is what they do. I burned some coal one year in an older stove that was built for it. I did not clean out the pipe, and it started to rust pretty bad during the summer in a damp basement. That pipe went to the scrapyard before I started burning again in the fall.

Class a never. Single wall needs to changed when the corrosion has weakened it too much. How can you tell? Great question. I plan to try and squeeze mine occasionally but honestly it’s holding up better than expected.

If I planned on replacing it every two years then I would just upgrade to double wall interior pipe which is stainless steel inside and a lifetime pipe.

If you have a chimney fire or external damage then that may have caused damage requiring replacement.

Also if you burn driftwood that would shorten the life.
Class a does need replaced eventually. We are replacing stuff that is 25 years old or so where water got into the insulation and rusts through the outer layer. The inner wall can also deteriorate or be damaged by overheating.

But to the op it all depends on your situation. We regularly see stuff last 10 years in a nice dry envionment. But in a damp basement it can rust out in a year in some cases.

And yes coal dust in a damp basement will eat pipe in no time

You only need to replace the single-wall pipe when it has weakened. If cared for, it should take years before it needs to be replaced.

Reactions: Highbeam
Class a does need replaced eventually. We are replacing stuff that is 25 years old or so where water got into the insulation and rusts through the outer layer. The inner wall can also deteriorate or be damaged by overheating.

But to the op it all depends on your situation. We regularly see stuff last 10 years in a nice dry envionment. But in a damp basement it can rust out in a year in some cases.

If the class a last 25 years for me then that's great. I will have my use out of it and it very well could be the next guys problem. Although you never know. I have a neighbor that is in his 80's and still prossesses his own wood..i asked him about that once...he said and i quote. ..it's better to wear out that to set around and rust out!

If the class a last 25 years for me then that's great. I will have my use out of it and it very well could be the next guys problem. Although you never know. I have a neighbor that is in his 80's and still prossesses his own wood..i asked him about that once...he said and i quote. ..it's better to wear out that to set around and rust out!
Your may very well last longer than that to. We are just seeing some having problems around that age. Others are fine. And some of the issues with those old ones have been adressed

I think there are different thickness.My single wall is straight up to the ceiling box, so I don't think it stays wet from any rain water. 18 years and i don't see anything wrong with it.