In December of 05, My neighbor's wife called the fire department on us the first year they moved in. Never seen a pellet eater and when she saw the smoke cloud from my due to be cleaned quad. She freeked out! Not a good feeling coming home to see 4 fire trucks parked in the road and several firemen standing in your yard. Lucky for us the Chief had a cool head and by the time they arrived the stove was lite and the smoke was gone. They just waited to talk with us and see if we needed some assistence(like a chimney sweep). I shutdown the stove and tore into cleaning it and the ventpipe. He hung around and watched it light when I was done. Little to no smoke once cleaned. He had not seen a pellet eater before that and was thrilled with what I knew. But did scold me for being lazy with my source of fire! No fines or anything, But a good verbal warning. I learned my lesson and was scared straight! I never let the stove get that dirty again. And also started doing some looking into a new stove. Keep them stove's clean!