How strict was your installer about hearth requirements/offsets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Starclassic

Dec 8, 2021
Illinois, USA
Every stove comes with a set of measurements for distances from the unit to combustible materials. Obviously these are specified for a reason. I'm new to stoves — just wondering how everyone has handled their install.

Would a professional refuse to install a unit that didn't have the exact hearth/mantel specs? If I'm a couple inches shy of spec do I have to rebuild my hearth, remove part of my mantel, etc.?

If it doesn't meet code for CTC, it will not be installed.
The installing company is liable & if something is
missed, injuries or death can result.

Reactions: ManitobaSky
Every stove comes with a set of measurements for distances from the unit to combustible materials. Obviously these are specified for a reason. I'm new to stoves — just wondering how everyone has handled their install.

Would a professional refuse to install a unit that didn't have the exact hearth/mantel specs? If I'm a couple inches shy of spec do I have to rebuild my hearth, remove part of my mantel, etc.?
If they are willing to install a stove without meeting the required specs you don't want them working on your home

I have a new neighbor up the street from me, this is they're first winter up here, nice guy, and wonderful family, he bought a foreclosed house that was lightly remodeled or updated.
He came over to my house to pay for the seasonal snowplowing we do, he took notice at my woodshed and asked a few questions, stating that he had a stove and was wondering if I could show him how to run it.
I went over there and he had a NC30, brand new, only fired a handful of times, new black chimney pipe to class a in a ceiling support box. I looked at the stove and said no good, the stove was a corner install and literally 6" from the wall, I believe he needed 15" w/ rear heat shield, so I directed him to buy elbows and some black pipe and explained that if he burns the stove as is he will be buying a new home again. The next weekend we fixed it, and he couldnt be any happier, very thankful that I saw the issue and now that he runs the stove hot he says he understands why clearances are needed.
Long story short once you get a stove and run it properly as designed you will understand why clearances are needed and that you actually want to exceed them as much as you can in some cases.

They are call “required minimum clearances” for a reason, if you didn’t have to follow them they would be suggested clearances.

For mine, I had mismeasured one of the distances by about an inch, and they were still willing to install it given that I ordered the rear heat shield in front of them (without the shield it needed 30", with the shield it needed 18", it had 29" - the installer's take was that it wouldn't be safe to run long term without the heat shield, but it would be fine for a week or two, and I guess I seemed sufficiently enthusiastic about installing the heat shield that they weren't worried), but they specifically called out on the paperwork that they were only approving the install conditionally. I've got that plus the timestamped photos of the heat shield install a few days later in case I ever need that for insurance.

Even if they'd been willing to sign off on the installation as it was, I wouldn't have wanted to leave it that way - fire is one of those things that can go very wrong very quickly with no warning after working 'just fine' for several years (I've had family members lose their homes this way). If you're a few inches short of the clearances, I would definitely look into either heat shields, expanding the hearth to allow the stove to move further away, or removing the combustibles.