How tall is your chimney? A poll...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How tall is your chimney(s)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
This came up in another thread...curious how many people have short, normal, or extra tall chimneys...
Vote for as many as you have (or use) up to 3.

Last edited:
28' with a 8x8 flue and and an 8x13 flu. Its an inside masonry chimney. I inspect it yearly but have only cleaned it twice in 30 years. I burn my stoves and later on my boiler hot so no idling.

Measured from where?

18’ (+- a couple inches) from the collar on the stove. Hoping to have the first fire before Christmas. Got more tile work to do, but stove is actually ready to hook up to the flue and OAK, just need to work in that space a bit more. Goal is to call Friday to schedule the inspection. City said they usually come out next business day.

I actually have two chimneys right around 24'.

Five feet of security double wall telescopic connected to nine feet of Selkirk sentinel through the vaulted ceiling, straight up.

26' from the floor of the fireplace to the top of the masonry chimney, which has 3 flues. One goes down to the basement for the oil boiler, one is for the fireplace, and the third one is unused and a bit of a mystery to me.

I can't figure out what it could be used for. There's a clean out door on the exterior of the chimney at the bottom of that flue at the first floor level, so it can't be used for any heater in the basement. Since the chimney is on the exterior wall of the living room where the fireplace is, it would hardly make sense to put another stove in the same room as the fireplace. The only possible use I can think of would be to put a wood stove in the second floor bedroom above the living room, but that would be a lot of work and not really necessary.

26' from the floor of the fireplace to the top of the masonry chimney, which has 3 flues. One goes down to the basement for the oil boiler, one is for the fireplace, and the third one is unused and a bit of a mystery to me.

I can't figure out what it could be used for. There's a clean out door on the exterior of the chimney at the bottom of that flue at the first floor level, so it can't be used for any heater in the basement. Since the chimney is on the exterior wall of the living room where the fireplace is, it would hardly make sense to put another stove in the same room as the fireplace. The only possible use I can think of would be to put a wood stove in the second floor bedroom above the living room, but that would be a lot of work and not really necessary.
@Solarguy3500 That's interesting. How old is your house? I know in older pre ~1900 houses it was common to have a stove or fireplace in every room, especially bedrooms. No evidence of a thimble anywhere I take it?

@Solarguy3500 That's interesting. How old is your house? I know in older pre ~1900 houses it was common to have a stove or fireplace in every room, especially bedrooms. No evidence of a thimble anywhere I take it?

The house was built in 1935, but I was told by the previous owner that the original owner had torn down the chimney and rebuilt it in the 1980s. Judging by the condition of the chimney, I tend to believe that explanation, because I think the chimney would be much more deteriorated if it were an original 1935 chimney. No sign of a stove in the second floor bedroom, the wall where the chimney is on the exterior is just sheetrock inside the bedroom, but I know that the floor plan was reconfigured before we bought the house so I guess it's possible there is a thimble in the chimney behind that drywall in the bedroom or maybe is was cemented over if there was one.

I was trying to figure out at one point if that flue could be used for a large stove or wood furnace in the basement, but since the bottom of it is at the first floor level, I think it's pretty clear the answer is no.

Pretty vague poll.

Where are you measuring from? Firebox? Stove top or outlet? Thimble? Lots of room for variance.
Seems you could get better polling information by being more specific otherwise answers could be off by 3 feet to much higher. I’ve seen thimbles in workshops with high ceilings as high as 15’ and the thimble be 8’-10’ off the floor. I’ve also seen the 6’ off the floor. Seen homes with similar scenarios and in my case alone, depending on where you measure from my answer could vary by as much as 5 feet. Not griping, just giving some examples. I’d imagine you want an accurate poll and information.

EDIT:

Disregard my post. I see from you last sentence that I missed that allowed for multiple answers. My mistake.

Running a Lopi Answer in a single-story bungalow with a 12-13' uninsulated flexible pipe in an outdoor chimney, straight shot up and out. Works pretty well, cold starts need to be managed carefully (carefully stacked, small pieces of dry wood). Once it is hot, it draws reasonably well. I specifically don't burn above 40 degrees F.

Ran a Lopi Republic in a two story craftsman house with a very high peak. Chimney is on the outside but is double-wall insulated and was also a straight shot up 27' and out with a damper. It drafted pretty well - a little too well (Lopi's seem to me to be pretty easy breathers). I had to keep an eye on stove during startup and turn it down early. If not, it would easily hit 750 degrees stovetop at the peak of the burn, fully turned down, with the damper engaged. If I was careful, 650 degrees stovetop.