How to adjust system for a change in stove height?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
My stove sits on a prefab hearth pad. The pad was originally installed (placed) over the existing carpet and the stove just rests on top. I am replacing the carpet in the room, so I removed the old (including under the hearth pad). I could have cut around, but I prefer to remove the old. Now, of course, the pad and stove sit (on a tile over slab floor) about a half inch lower than before. I have a double walled stove pipe to a tee out. Now there is a large (about 1/2 inch additional) gap at the stove collar which I need to correct. The way I see it, I have a few choices. I could raise the pad with some wood strips (probably won't look right), raise the stove on the pad with something under the legs (not the best idea), or get a longer pipe. Extending the pipe is my preferred method, but I am not sure how they sell double walled pipe. I expect they are standard lengths (I think mine is 3 feet from the stove to the elbow). If the flexible elbow is sold in different lengths, that could also correct the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Do the legs of the stove have the levelers on them? you might be able to turn the bolts and get that little but of height you needed

Double-wall stove pipe is sold with telescoping sections in different lengths. That makes for the easiest install.

I've changed hearth heights and stoves a couple of times. The telescoping double section is excellent at telescoping to fit the new heights. The only trouble is the screw holes that occur when you lock it open after extending it a little farther. They are in the outside shell so no leakage but aesthetics. Also if you have a probe thermometer you may need new holes.

Thanks. I think the legs are just bolted on with no adjustment. As for the telescopic pipe, is it available in lengths that would start 34-35 inches long (or maybe a little less) and extend just beyond 3 feet long? Otherwise I am not sure how to do this (especially if I use the same elbow).

Possibly. What brand/type of double wall stove pipe is this?

I think it is Selkirk.

Selkirk DSP has an adjustable length that goes from 12" to 18". Maybe combine that with a 24" section? The next size up telescoping pipe they make is 38-64".

From an air BnB my daughter stayed at in Norway. They all had stoves. Just done up a little different. Just saying.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 227
From an air BnB my daughter stayed at in Norway. They all had stoves. Just done up a little different. Just saying.

Yeah.... That's a terrible idea.

You're begging for trouble with those skinny little shims.

What do you do when you bump the stove and if falls of the shims and disconnects from the chimney.

Selkirk DSP has an adjustable length that goes from 12" to 18". Maybe combine that with a 24" section? The next size up telescoping pipe they make is 38-64".

Thanks. I look into that.

Yeah.... That's a terrible idea.

You're begging for trouble with those skinny little shims.

What do you do when you bump the stove and if falls of the shims and disconnects from the chimney.
My thoughts too. Not sure how they got by.
I would avoid shims underneath. I think that was somewhat dismissed in the op also. I know mine moves, certainly not on purpose, but when sliding the last split in sometimes it's snug, then bump the back of the stove to boot - it can move.

There are better ways to raise the stove to match the pipe if you have no other choice. Larger paver blocks, a poured concrete platform, slab of granite, etc. I would not use a stack of quarters.

You say in your op that you only need to gain a half inch. I think shims under the legs would be the easiest solution and certainly the least expensive. I don't see any danger of a stove "falling off" a half inch tall shim so long as the shim extends out an inch or so beyond the base of the legs. It takes quite a jolt to move a 300 lb. - 500 lb. stove. There is no reason to think the stove would move any easier sitting on suitable shims than it would sitting on the original pad. Just make sure you select shims that have some friction to them, as opposed to something like slick marble, etc.