how to clean aluminum siding stains off of brick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce

Nov 20, 2005
long pond pa
does any one know? i tried power washer, acid, vinegar, and something a paint store sold me with no luck, there has to be a way

Not sure, but I'd try posting over at oldhousejournal.com or oldhouseweb.com. Either site usually pretty good advice re restoration.

Did you tri Tri Sodium Phosphate?
You may have to use muriatic acid.

What exactly from the siding made the stain? I've never really known aluminum metal itself to leave a stain - at least not like a rust trail from steel. Is the paint on the siding starting to chalk up and bleed off or something else?

That is going to be a tough one. I'd say the first thing to do would be to eliminate the source of the problem - either repaint, replace or seal the siding. Once the source is stopped, Dutchboy recommends:

"Brick areas that are stained by “chalk run-down” should be scrubbed with a stiff brush and detergent. Professional cleaning may be required to remove this staining."

http://dutchboy.com/projects/troubleshooting/stains-chalk-mildew/

Also note that it may weather away on it's own once the source of the problem is stopped.

Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.