How to connect flue pipe to my new "old" Englander?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I bought a used Englander 13 stove off craigslist to replaced my VC. The problem I am having is the Englander has the flue exiting the top of the stove w/o a removable collar. I am able to remove the flue pipe on the VC by loosening the collar and sliding the pipe back and below the stove. How do I insert the last piece of pipe on the Englander w/o a removable collar?
Also, the Englander does not have any holes to hold the pipe to the stove. Does the pipe just sit in the fixed collar at the top of the stove?

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 320
bsa0021 said:
I bought a used Englander 13 stove off craigslist to replaced my VC. The problem I am having is the Englander has the flue exiting the top of the stove w/o a removable collar. I am able to remove the flue pipe on the VC by loosening the collar and sliding the pipe back and below the stove. How do I insert the last piece of pipe on the Englander w/o a removable collar?
Also, the Englander does not have any holes to hold the pipe to the stove. Does the pipe just sit in the fixed collar at the top of the stove?
Note: Depth of field is bad on the picture......it looks like the stove is against the wood but I can walk behind them.

You may need a slip section of pipe to get it on there. Might also need a stove adaptor for proper fit into the stove collar.

Ya just slide the pipe in the collar on the 13. Then drill three holes in the collar and pipe and put in stainless steel screws. ESW needs to start drilling those dang collars at the plant. I noticed at Lowe's the other day that the competition is doing it now.

A drill bit goes through it so fast that it makes you go "hmmm...".

jtp10181 said:
You may need a slip section of pipe to get it on there. Might also need a stove adaptor for proper fit into the stove collar.
What is a slip section??? Stove Adapter? Is this something that HD or Lowes would carry?

I found this on northline. They say it's a slip connector. Which direction do I install this? If I install the top portion into the stove the opposite end, which is smaller diameter, would have to be inserted into the pipe above which as I understand would allow creosote to drip down the pipe (not that I would have creosote). Also, currently the piece of pipe that I have above the slip connector is crimped where the connector meets. Would I install a short splice (double skirted pipe)?

Attachments

• 5SP-1670-xlg.jpg
    5SP-1670-xlg.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 5SP-1672-xlg.jpg
    5SP-1672-xlg.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 224
With the stove that close in a corner you prob need double wall pipe, unless it is 18" from the wood.

You should always use the same brand and style of pipe for the entire connector pipe run. If it is double wall, it should be the same brand as the class A system.

Status
Not open for further replies.