How to connect metal-fab ceiling support to DVL chimney adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sheneron

Nov 18, 2023
USA
Hi,

I have to replace the (single wall) stove pipe I have from the stove to the ceiling and I ordered DVL double wall pipe to do this, including the chimney adapter. However, as I was going to install this, I realized that this does not seem to fit my ceiling support box, which is a "Metal-Fab Temp Guard Painted Ceiling Support - 6TGCSP".

My support box has a pipe that crimped male end that goes inside the chimney adapter. As a result, the chimney adapter does not sit flush with the support box. See the pictures below.

I'd rather not replace the ceiling support if at all possible. Is there a way to use this ceiling support box with my DVL double wall pipe, and if so, how do I go about it?

Thanks for any help you can give.

support-adapter.jpg ceilingsupport.jpg

Correct, that adapter is for DuraVent ceiling supports. Will the crimped collar fit directly into the DVL pipe?

Correct, that adapter is for DuraVent ceiling supports. Will the crimped collar fit directly into the DVL pipe?
Thank you.

You mean into the a section of pipe and not the chimney adapter? Yes, it does as you can see below, but I am not sure I would secure it to the ceiling support.

PXL_20231119_000201409.jpg

PXL_20231119_000123733.jpg

Any thoughts on the following two options?
* Cutting the excess of the steel ring that that sticks up out of the the DVL chimney adapter so that the adapter will be flush to my support box. See shiny metal area marked in red circle below.
* Some type of metal fastener to fasten the pipe directly to the ceiling support box (avoid using the adapter altogether). I am not sure what fastener I could get to do this.

support-adapter.jpg

There are three holes on each section of pipe (circled). Use a #6 x 3/4 sheet metal screw in each hole to attach. You can use self tapping screws or pre-drill the crimped extension with tap holes before screwing. If you use the self-tappers, be sure they penetrate the inner crimped collar and don't just bend it.

PXL_20231119_000201409.jpg

There are three holes on each section of pipe (circled). Use a #6 x 3/4 sheet metal screw in each hole to attach. You can use self tapping or pre-drill the crimped extension with tap holes before screwing. If you use the self-tappers, be sure they penetrate the inner crimped collar and don't just bend it.

View attachment 319016
Thanks so much, you have saved me. I'll try this soon and if it works, i'll name my first born son after you 😁.

On another note, anyone want to buy a DVL chimney adapter? ==c

There are three holes on each section of pipe (circled). Use a #6 x 3/4 sheet metal screw in each hole to attach. You can use self tapping screws or pre-drill the crimped extension with tap holes before screwing. If you use the self-tappers, be sure they penetrate the inner crimped collar and don't just bend it.

View attachment 319016
Final question. The crimped end on the ceiling support box already has a few holes. I don't need to plug those or anything, right? The crimped end is inside the dvl pipe so I don't see any reason, just want to double check.

Final question. The crimped end on the ceiling support box already has a few holes. I don't need to plug those or anything, right? The crimped end is inside the dvl pipe so I don't see any reason, just want to double check.
Correct

I have a similar question. I have the same Metal-Fab ceiling box, 6TGC8P. GDWBTL66 double wall stove pipe, Metal Fab telescoping to mate, no adapter. The fit at the ceiling box is, sloppy lose to the point the ceiling box turns easily when box and pipe fully mate. I can use two fingers and turn the ceiling box around in the pipe with almost no resistance. Clearly a lose fit. At all other connections fit is as would be expected, that being mate it and work the connection a bit for a reasonable fit. At the ceiling box air is clearly going to get drawn in at that point. Not the case at other connections.

Another question if I may. Is double wall made ( Metal- Fab GDWBTL66) to pull air in at the bottom and out the top. The section has holes at the bottom (flared part) all the way around where it connects to the stove. The store supplied me an adapter to install this pipe to this ceiling box and if used all mates however leave 1/4 " gap at the top (top of pipe and bottom of ceiling box). Is it the case air comes from bottom to top and out at that 1/4" gap... cooling purpose or so to get use of that heat that rises up the pipe. Holes at the bottom and at top to make that a circulating pipe. Sorry for the long question.