How to connect single wall flex to stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur Feral

Minister of Fire
Aug 24, 2014
Eastern Pennsylvania
I thought this would' be easy, but so far it's not... An installer (who has since left the dealer, and they've cut back on service now) put in a new Forever Flex 4" liner for me last year when I was out of town, and hooked up an old Quest insert for me in the basement (stove I already had). When I went to clean it, I found that he had made the connection beween the 3" takeoff of the liner to the stove with a short piece of single wall flex duct screwed to the stove exhaust along with a glob of RTV (got most of it off already). While this works and the single wall is acceptable for an insert, it's a big pain to remove and reinstall, especially if I want to do a midwinter cleaning. I figured I could find an adapter that would let me attach to the single wall flex permanently (I.e., screws and RTV) and with some type of o-ring / compression fitting to attach to the stove. But I can't find such a fitting! There's a lot out there for connecting to Duravent, etc., but I haven't found what I need in this case. Any ideas / products? Am I just missing an easy solution? I hope to make it easier and faster to remove that flex from the stove, yet still have a good seal. Thanks for any help! image.jpg

Would a 4" appliance adapter work? Permanently attach the flex to the adapter and use high temperature foil tape at the interface of the adapter to the stove.

It might, but I have concerns about getting a tight seal. This may require some engineering overt genet couple of weeks... Thanks, and let's see if others have any ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.