How to crimp stove pipe...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsandlin0803

Dec 23, 2008
Eastern KY
I am about ready to install my new flex king liner. I need to crimp the end of the tee so that it will fit inside of my black stove pipe.

Any pointers on how to do this?

I have all kinds of tools, but do not have a pipe crimper.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Jason

Vice grips.

I have only done this with duct work,there is a special tool to do it but I have used needle nose pliers to do almost the same thing. Slip them over the edge of the pipe and kind of roll them sideways just a little bit around the perimeter of the pipe. This produces a series of ridges, and makes the pipe slightly smaller diameter.

Home Depot or any hardware store will sell you the tool you need to do a good job, it will be sold near the tin snips, it looks like a five bladed pair of scissors, three on one side and two on the other, when the blades are closed they will make the flutes you need and not cut or tear the metal, by putting the last "blade in the last set of flutes you made you will get perfect even flutes all around. practice on a peice of scrap first.

Needle nose pliers work very well.

north of 60 said:
LLigetfa said:
Needle nose pliers work very well.
If you are on a farm in the middle of nowhere. ;-P
Or it's 10:30 P.M. ( roll the pliers left then right then left all the way around)

Crimper.jpg

This is the crimper I bought at a plumbing supply store.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.