How to deal with wood rounds?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vatmark

Burning Hunk
Jan 5, 2017
Nebo NC
We have 2 trees that are going to be taken down in a few weeks. A large oak and a hickory. We hired someone to take the trees down and we will deal with cutting it up. We won't get around to splitting it for a while. What is the best way to store it? Leave uncovered? Cover with tarp? Top cover?

The rounds will not really season until split. Store them off the ground, no need to cover.

Get them off the ground and don't worry about covering. If you can't get them all off the ground, get the hickory off the ground first. Oak (particularly white oak family) can sit on the ground longer and is more resistant to rot and bugs than hickory. That's been my experience.

Ok thanks. So off the ground no cover.

begreen I realize they won't start drying until split. We are not full time burners. We don't really start burning until December and then only burn once or twice a week tops through Feb. We are good on dry wood for this year and probably for next year.

Stack them on palettes or sleepers on their sides, not cut end up.

Reactions: Alpine1 and EbS-P
I find that red and white oak even when stacked off the ground in rounds tends to rot from the outside in so I try to split as soon as possible. Plus I try to get the bark off earlier rather than later. Maple seems to start rotting later when stacked in rounds.

I find that red and white oak even when stacked off the ground in rounds tends to rot from the outside in so I try to split as soon as possible. Plus I try to get the bark off earlier rather than later. Maple seems to start rotting later when stacked in rounds.

Same here. I had red oak rounds stacked off the ground and under tarps for a year. Outside 1/2" got soft already. If I ever store rounds again (I am not intending to do so), I'll debark them first.

If there are any 4-6" diameter straight branches, I'd rescue those from the chipper pile to use as sacrificial sleepers underneath the rounds. I've left oak rounds stacked in pyramids for many months, but be sure that fallen leaves are blown off the top. Top cover wouln't hurt, but I would not wrap in tarp. Sooner is always better for splitting.

TE

I stored some rounds on pallets for 3 years and just split them this year, just get them off the gound.

Reactions: fvhowler