How to Distribute Heat with my closed Layout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kgordon87

Dec 7, 2016
United States
I have a very long living room with my pellet stove right in the middle, blowing the hot air straight at a wall. I was reading a thread earlier that said putting a fan in the room that you want to heat, and blowing the cold air INTO the pellet stove room will allow better heat transfer. This makes sense, however I'm wondering about the angle, , where to put the fan, etc... for example, how do I put a fan on the floor without bumping into it or tripping over it every time I go through the doorway ;)
The room has 2 doors, one on either side.. one leading into the kitchen, and one leading into the playroom. Then, the kitchen and playroom create a circle, connecting to each other. Should I have fans blowing in one direction, or should I have one fan blowing into the kitchen, and the other into the playroom?
Thanks!

I have a very long living room with my pellet stove right in the middle, blowing the hot air straight at a wall. I was reading a thread earlier that said putting a fan in the room that you want to heat, and blowing the cold air INTO the pellet stove room will allow better heat transfer. This makes sense, however I'm wondering about the angle, , where to put the fan, etc... for example, how do I put a fan on the floor without bumping into it or tripping over it every time I go through the doorway ;)
The room has 2 doors, one on either side.. one leading into the kitchen, and one leading into the playroom. Then, the kitchen and playroom create a circle, connecting to each other. Should I have fans blowing in one direction, or should I have one fan blowing into the kitchen, and the other into the playroom?
Thanks!

Did you ever see one of the door frame fans? They might be helpful in your situation. I have never used them but thought they seemed a good idea so the fan itself would not be in the way. Just a quick on I googled from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EntreeAi...ujSGfm0BxtCmu_5EeIUH_hoCKzzw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Use the search box,up above,and search here and wood stove forum,you will find many threads about moving heat,should keep you busy for a few days ==c

Reactions: bags
This is what works for me: I have a small vornado fan on the floor facing the room with the stove. I blow it on low at ground level not angled up. You have to give it a little time to work. You don't want a stiff breeze just enough to move the air.

Experiment with a couple of box fans. They're cheap and easily moved.

This is what works for me: I have a small vornado fan on the floor facing the room with the stove. I blow it on low at ground level not angled up. You have to give it a little time to work. You don't want a stiff breeze just enough to move the air.
I have to agree with this, as far as how it works in my house. I've found a nice gentle breeze seems to work much better than trying to force the air from one room to another. The warm air is going to try and move on it's own, so just helping it go in that natural direction works best, your home might be different but I would try and keep the air moving in one direction.

Reactions: cecil_archer
I have to agree with this, as far as how it works in my house. I've found a nice gentle breeze seems to work much better than trying to force the air from one room to another. The warm air is going to try and move on it's own, so just helping it go in that natural direction works best, your home might be different but I would try and keep the air moving in one direction.
Same here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A mix of upper doorway fans and floor fans have to be thought out. Cold air at the floor you want moving toward the stove room; hot air near the ceiling you want moving out of the stove room. Enhancement of the natural convection loop is what you are shooting for...

flag tape or tissue paper taped to the wall may help figure out the convection loop already at work in the house.(use painter's tape so you don't create a painting job in the process==c) With that thought, off to sand down the patches and repaint a bedroom ... kids and cats are tough on a house.

A mix of upper doorway fans and floor fans have to be thought out. Cold air at the floor you want moving toward the stove room; hot air near the ceiling you want moving out of the stove room. Enhancement of the natural convection loop is what you are shooting for...

It really all boils down to moving air. Some ways work better than others and everyone's layout or situation varies. I've figured mine out pretty well. it'd be better if the kids didn't constantly shut their bedroom doors but I've warned them. It got cold here last night and we are going to get colder. No snow yet but I did notice the kid's doors were left open. LOL! Guess they weren't too happy getting ready this morning. They'll figure it out. I'm tired or the non-stop reminders so they are on their own now. Old enough to know better....

Reactions: Lake Girl
Old enough to know better....
Like that makes a difference;lol;lol Think back a bit ... seemed I often learned by doing. Mistakes are remembered so not repeated. I laugh at myself ... always double check to make sure the vacuum switch is connected to the exhaust port now. Wonder why??;em Yup, forgot to do it and had majolica sides and top on with the board hooked up only to be taken off and put back on==c You could always try the reverse, close the doors so you respect their privacy!

Trying to get the last child into a downstairs room so we can close off the upstairs until everyone is home at Christmas. Approximately 700 sq ft that no longer really needs to be heated.

Like that makes a difference;lol;lol Think back a bit ... seemed I often learned by doing. Mistakes are remembered so not repeated. I laugh at myself ... always double check to make sure the vacuum switch is connected to the exhaust port now. Wonder why??;em Yup, forgot to do it and had majolica sides and top on with the board hooked up only to be taken off and put back on==c You could always try the reverse, close the doors so you respect their privacy!

Trying to get the last child into a downstairs room so we can close off the upstairs until everyone is home at Christmas. Approximately 700 sq ft that no longer really needs to be heated.
have a 2nd floor here..3 bedrooms/bath... at the top of the steps I put a ceiling fan up which I have going Clockwise at lowest fan speed to bring
up warm air downstairs.. works very well.. keeps the upstairs around 66 degrees which is perfect sleeping temps.
we have baseboards [oil fed] upstairs but the idea is to not burn oil [regardless of price].... with no fan turning the upstairs has been know to get down to 50 degrees...

When I had the Hastings, it was a corner install (for clearances) aimed right at another dead corner. I originally tried blowing cold air from the bedroom toward the stove, but with an unconditioned garage below supplying a never-ending amount of cold air (that the fan apparently was pulling up), that was a bust for my house and bedroom never saw a rise in temp (and the stove worked really hard to boot).

I finally settled on using a corner fan and a tower fan at the hallway entrance to encourage warm air towards the bedroom and I could keep it a nice temp in there without running the stove as hard as previously. Did not do anything for the kitchen and office, but the warm air found its way there anyway (course their floors aren't above a garage, so would stay warmer naturally).

The best outcome though was putting in the P43 in place of the Hastings. It is not as wide so I had the clearance to place the stove so the airstream is aimed straight down that hallway. Now I don't use any supplemental fans.

I like this. The vornados are silent and safe for small children to be around. I have 3. One small and two larger ones. I dont use them all for heat distribution. I mainly use them in the summer. I have no children so I can get away with a little different fan for the winter warm air distribution.

But as is well known, heat rises. Cool air is more dense. This is why it works to put the fan where the air is cooler instead of where the air is warm. The fan can move more air per revolution of cool air, and the warm air will rise naturally.

A ceiling fan is always a good thing to have, but not everyone has one. So some of us have to get creative and use floor fan etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.