How to do your first burns for new Vermont Castings Dauntless wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Finnie7

Oct 27, 2022
Malone, NY
Family just had a Vermont Castings “Dauntless” black wood stove professionally installed today in new cabin in northern Adirondacks. Installers recommended at least three burns at 200 deg, 400, and 600. How long should we run each test bum at these temperatures? Do you shut stove down once you run it at 200?

Even though supposed to get down to 22 deg. tonight, we decided 7 pm tonight was too late tonight to start. Will try tomorrow. We’re newbies so more info the better.

Thanks I’m advance!

Not sure but I always broke my stoves in at the required temp to expand then relax just to go through the motions. Then, on to the next temp. For me it was reaching that next temp then backing off. However, if you want to heat your place tonight on the first fire, my guess you would forget and go beyond the break in protocol. Make sure it's 200 or below for the first break in but KEEP it at 200 or below then let it cool to room temp. I have always felt it necessary to expand and contact slowly as not to stress components. After your third round let 'er rip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Finnie7
Thanks. We’re not risking trying to do this tonight. What do you mean by “relax”? Let fire burn out or just lower temp, or keep at 200 deg plateau for how long and then raise to 400?

Oh I see what you mean. I believe you want to get to 200, then let it die out. That expands and contracts the stove. Then the next degree will expand it further. I remember doing it 3 times each time a little hotter then the previous expansion and contraction.

Start with very small (kindling) fires

Family just had a Vermont Castings “Dauntless” black wood stove professionally installed today in new cabin in northern Adirondacks. Installers recommended at least three burns at 200 deg, 400, and 600. How long should we run each test bum at these temperatures? Do you shut stove down once you run it at 200?

Even though supposed to get down to 22 deg. tonight, we decided 7 pm tonight was too late tonight to start. Will try tomorrow. We’re newbies so more info the better.

Thanks I’m advance!
I have the same stove and I pretty much just got it up to the desired temp and cut the air back and let it die off. It doesn't need to stay at a specific temp for a period of time, but you do want to let it cool all the way down to room temp before you do the next one. Did you get it with the catalytic performance package? If not, I would recommend getting it...it makes a huge difference in the operation of the stove. No need to worry about that though until you're done with all of the break ins. Happy burning!

I would not set your mind to a specific temperature for break in. You will be disappointed with your attempt.
Read the manual about how to light a kindling fire. Dont freak out if smoke comes into the room until the flue heats up and pulls the smoke out. If it continues to come into the room then you have an issue, and will need to come back to here for advice but I doubt that will happen but if it does carefully remove the wood in a fireproof box and leave it outside to burn out.

If your fire starts burning with 3-4" flames, for a couple of minutes, close those front doors. Leave your air control on high and the damper open, monitor your STT temps. You likely wont hit 400 degrees with just a kindling fire, and probably not even 300.

I would then wait for the kindling fire to turn almost to coals, and carefully add from the top 2, 2-3 inch thick pieces. This is going to warm the stove up now. Once you see those flames wildly dancing, and if your stove gets to say, 325, turn the air control down halfway. If after 10 minutes or so the temps are still rising, lower the air control completely.

FYI the manual says nothing about what temps/times to break it in.

Yes it is completely normal to have a horrible smell. You may want to consider breaking in during the warmer part of the day, open windows and have a fan exhausting the smell/smoke out the window.

Yes it will smell for at least 7 fires. And if you hit a new high temperature. Without fail. So for example if you have 10 fires at below 600 then one day get to 675, you WILL smell it all over again.

I hope you have good wood. This stove is very tricky to use and would be almost impossible to burn safely with wet wood (above 20 % moisture content). If you do not have a moisture meter, and know how to test your firewood, I would not burn in the stove until you get one and learn.

Another word of caution, never let this stove get below 400 degrees. I had 3 overnight burns whereas I assume a large load of wood was probably cooking off at 300ish degrees, maybe 350 (who knows) and woke up to more wood that I would expect for an overnight burn. A week later I had a small chimney fire.. That's all it took. I have the same exact stove, and am going to try with the catalyst to see if that remedies the issues Ive been having with my stove. Im using very well seasoned wood. So I cant imagine how bad it would be for non seasoned.

Thanks I’m advance!
The first fire will just be a kindling fire, nothing bigger than an inch. Let the fire die out. This cycle will probably be over in 2 hrs. The next 400º fire will take burning a few 2-3" thick splits and some kindling. You can do this on the same day. Don't freak out if the temp goes up to 450º. If it doesn't reach 400º, add another split or two. The paint will start to bake in at this point, and the stove surface may smoke a bit. It helps to open some windows. Let this fire die down and the stove cool back to room temp. The next fire should be with about 3/4 firebox full of wood. The object is to bring the stove up to around 550-600º. There will definitely be smoke coming off the surface of the stove as the paint bakes. Open windows and put a fan in one to exhaust the fumes.

After this, run the stove as normal. The paint will still be baking in for the next 2-3 fires that get the stove up to or above 600º, but with noticeably less smell. If the stove is enameled, there will be only a little fumes and smell.

Last edited:
The first fire will just be a kindling fire, nothing bigger than an inch. Let the fire die out. This cycle will probably be over in 2 hrs. The next 400º fire will take burning a few 2-3" thick splits and some kindling. You can do this on the same day. Don't freak out if the temp goes up to 450º. If it doesn't reach 400º, add another split or two. The paint will start to bake in at this point, and the stove surface may smoke a bit. It helps to open some windows. Let this fire die down and the stove cool back to room temp. The next fire should be with about 3/4 firebox full of wood. The object is to bring the stove up to around 550-600º. There will definitely be smoke coming off the surface of the stove as the paint bakes. Open windows and put a fan in one to exhaust the fumes.

After this, run the stove as normal. The paint will still be baking in for the next 2-3 fires that get the stove up to or above 600º, but with noticeably less smell. If the stove is enameled, there will be only a little fumes and smell.

Thanks everyone. I missed this AM’s replies due to poor cell service. We don’t have the catalyst.

This morning our vendor said to do a 200, 300, 400 round to be safe—they changed recommendations their installers gave of 200, 400, and 600.

It went over 200 degrees the first time, probably 250 for a very short period of time. When it reached 200, the air supply was turned off but it kept on going to maybe 250. Is that okay? Hoping that wasn’t too much first time round. Then we let it cool down to room temp after about 2 hours.

We just started it up again using kindling aiming for about 300. We’re almost at 300. Now we’re starting to smell the paint. We’re at 300 now and are closing down the fire by shutting off air, But it’s still climbing to 350. Is it okay if it keeps going up after turning off the air supply?

Planning for 400 tomorrow. And then really fire it up a fourth time. Hope this sounds okay! TIA!

RE “Catalyst” meaning needs clarification: do people mean the optional “Dauntless Catalytic Performance Pack”?
We chose not to get the Catalyst Performance Pack because we’re in an 1100’ sq. foot cabin that is off the grid. We were told this stove was more than enough for the space and plan some radiant floor heating.

We chose not to get the Catalyst Performance Pack because we’re in an 1100’ sq. foot cabin that is off the grid. We were told this stove was more than enough for the space and plan some radiant floor heating.
It probably is more than enough for that space and that’s why having the cat would actually be better. You’d be able to burn clean at much lower temps. Everyone probably has a little bit different experience with these stoves, but you will probably end up with a lot of creasote in your flue and dirty glass. I ran it for the first year w/o the cat and I just put one in this year and it has made a huge difference. Way less smoke out of the stack, cleaner glass, and the temp is much easier to control. It’s definitely an added expense, but we’ll worth it in my opinion.