How to drill out hinge posts (Old Defiant)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

michiganheat

Nov 12, 2021
Backwoods, MI
Working on a 1983 Defiant. Two hinge posts sheared off. I was able to get the broken pins out of the door - one tapped right out, the other I ended up drilling out.

After hours of soaking in PB Blaster, heating up, tapping and repeating, I do not think the two pieces that are still in the hinges are going to move. I've really only worked on the top one so far as the bottom doesn't give me much room to tap.

Two questions:
- I've read these are slightly tapered so I need to tap from the bottom, correct?
- I don't see how to drill these out like I did with the one on the door. My right angle drill won't let me get close enough to go straight. How do you drill straight on something with so little wiggle room? Is there a drill that is known to fit?

Thanks for any advice.

Hinges.jpg

You may have to get yourself an extended length drill bit to get at the top one. The bottom one night be accessible using a flexible driver...

Thought I'd share an update. The top one I drilled out, starting with a small drill bit and increasing in size. This little right angle adapter worked perfectly.

On the bottom one I went to hit it with a punch to mark the center to start drilling and it fell right out after one hit. I laughed so loud my wife called down from upstairs to ask what was going on.

RIght angle drilling.jpg

Reactions: fbelec and DAKSY