How to extend brick hearth for Hearthstone Homestead Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bostonstove

Aug 18, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi Folks:

Stove newbie here. My wife and I are considering purchasing and installing a Hearthstone Homestead Stove into the fireplace in our family room.

Here's the catch. The fireplace opening is large enough so that the stove could sit entirely inside the fireplace. Ihe fireplace dimensions are roughly 36.5" wide x 29" tall x 24" deep. If we went this route, we wouldn't have to make any modifications to our hearth, mantle, etc.

However, I'd ideally like to be able to have at least the soapstone portion of the stove sit outside/in front of the fireplace as this will heat better (also the stove is very attractive and I think it will look nicer.)

The problem is, today we have a standard red clay brick hearth. There is currently 16" of hearth in front of our fireplace opening. The hearth height is the thickness of the brick hearth. There is hardwood flooring around the hearth and in the rest of the room.

If we pull the stove out of the fireplace I'm told I would have to "extend" my hearth by about 12-16" depending on how far we pull it out. I know we could purchase a tiled "hearth extender", but my wife isn't a fan of that as it looks cheap and won't match the rest of the fireplace.

The "best" solution would be to hire someone to cut out a portion of our hardwood and add in another 12-16" of brick in front of our stove. Is that correct? Are there other options, like a fire proof decorative rug or anything?

I also have an issue with our mantel. The top of the stove is 25" off the hearth. And I'm told I need 36" on top of this to the bottom of the hearth. That is 51" total from the hearth. My mantle is at 50". What are my options?

Maybe it's just easier to set this beautiful stove all the way inside the fireplace. But I really don't want to have to do that.

Thanks!

The Homestead has some of the steepest hearth insulation requirements out there, especially with the short leg kit. Check those requirements first. It could be another stove besides the Homestead will be easier to deal with the hearth.

If you are doing a permanent extension to your hearth it would need to be built to code fore an open fireplace which means it needs to be on a self supporting slab with no combustible materials contacting the bottom side. A non permanent board meeting the required r value would be much easier.

Will this be for the Homestead with 4" legs or 6" legs? Is the hearth raised or flush with the floor? Have you checked mantel clearances?
Pics are always welcome.

Begreen is right, hearthmount feet (4") require a minimum R value of 6.6. Freestanding feet (6") require a minimum R value of 2.5.

I had a similar setup with my hearth when installing the Homestead in our fireplace, except my hearth is slate. I cut out an additional 10-12 inches of hardwood flooring needed to meet the required hearth depth and replaced it with a layer of fireproof and heat-resistant fiberboard plus slate to match the hearth (which is on poured concrete). I forget the brand of fiberboard I used, but it wasn't the stuff you find at big box stores. I learned of it here on the forums. Combined with the tile I recall I just barely met the r-value required by code.

Whatever you decide to do to keep it safe, do as your wife suggests and extend your hearth to match. Happy and safe makes for a warm home.

Good luck.