How to get 8" stainless liner past damper????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melikefire

Apr 29, 2009
Lapeer, MI
I am going to be putting in a nice old Timberline wood insert into my masonary fireplace. The flue is 8" coming off the Timberline. I'm assuming then I have to run a 8" stainless liner all the way to the top. How do I get the 8" liner past the damper hole???? Also i have a little rust on the outside of the insert what is the best way to prep the surface prior to painting?????

i would start by cutting the frame out. steel wool should clean it up.

You either have to cut the frame/damper area out to fit the liner or install an oval section through the damper.

If you damper is like mine--the good news is that it can be taken out with just a hack saw, chisel & hammer. The steel plate damper itself came right out on mine. The frame was mortered in.
You may need to add-in a visit to a chiropracter after your done.

When I had mine installed the guy wanted to smash the frame apart and I would not let him. Who knows if I ever wanted to go back ( now I know I would never go back ) anyway he said if we dont break it we need to use oval pipe. So I said that was easy use oval pipe then. I have oval pipe and it slid through tightly and then he put the blocking plate in. I think he wanted to break it because it was just easier.

Hurricane said:
When I had mine installed the guy wanted to smash the frame apart and I would not let him. Who knows if I ever wanted to go back ( now I know I would never go back ) anyway he said if we dont break it we need to use oval pipe. So I said that was easy use oval pipe then. I have oval pipe and it slid through tightly and then he put the blocking plate in. I think he wanted to break it because it was just easier.

its easier to get the brush down the round pipe... so busting it out makes it a bit easier on mainenance. If the pipe is to ovalized, you cant get a brush down it at all.

Yep. Cut out the damper frame. If you ever want to go back to a conventional fireplace, dampers that mount to the top of the chimney are available for around a hundred and thirty bucks and are far superior to the one in there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.