How To Plumb Electric Water Heater With Oil Indirect?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
(I thought it would be better to start a new thread.)

Should the cold inlet of the elec. wh come from the indirect hot water? Maybe it would pay, to preheat the water the same temperature as the outdoor reset say when a heating zone is on? The boiler would be up to temp anyway, so what's the big deal in heating up the indirect? I'd have to figure out how to wire that up. The reset isn't that much because I didn't think it was a good idea to go too low. Maybe the excess boiler heat could be scavanged (not sure about the whole condensation thing though - how low to go.)

Thinking about it some more, if I did that, both tanks would wind up being heated up, and there'd be standy losses from both. Maybe wiring the the indirect to only run when heat is on would not cost much incremental oil so that it wouldn't be a big deal. The water in the electric would be used first and replaced by warm water from the indirect, so it wouldn't have to run as much.

Maybe plumb it for flexibility in plans, but more complicated than just going whole hog with the electric.

Ideas?

I'm in the same boat. My ideal setup would be a DHW coil/exchanger in my storage tank piped into a electric, or even better heat pump hot water heater and ditch the indirect all together. Then if I wanted to I could even dump solar into my tank and use it to preheat the water for the electric heat during the summer.

My wallet isn't going to allow for my ideal setup at the moment though. I do have an unused electric hot water heater though that could be plumed in. Just sitting here I can come up with some rather complex ways to switch between the two but then I would have a bunch of money wrapped up in supplies. I like to dream. :p

K

If it costs more in the summer, it probably isn't THAT much cheaper in the winter. No matter what, if your hot water usage is consistent, the indirect will call for heat the same % of the day...1.5% for my case. If the boiler is HOT already from heating the house, the circ will kick on and start stealing your house heat from the boiler. It all depends on the exact scenario if it MIGHT be cheaper.
If I am wrong (always a possibility):

I would just plumb it in parallel with some ball valves. Once you are done with the heating season, throw the ball valves to switch from the indirect to the electric. Vice versa in the winter.

I think it's ironic that the very insulation that is an advantage for an indirect, would act against it if it were used as a buffer from the cold well water.

(I thought it would be better to start a new thread.)

Should the cold inlet of the elec. wh come from the indirect hot water? Maybe it would pay, to preheat the water the same temperature as the outdoor reset say when a heating zone is on? The boiler would be up to temp anyway, so what's the big deal in heating up the indirect? I'd have to figure out how to wire that up. The reset isn't that much because I didn't think it was a good idea to go too low. Maybe the excess boiler heat could be scavanged (not sure about the whole condensation thing though - how low to go.)

Thinking about it some more, if I did that, both tanks would wind up being heated up, and there'd be standy losses from both. Maybe wiring the the indirect to only run when heat is on would not cost much incremental oil so that it wouldn't be a big deal. The water in the electric would be used first and replaced by warm water from the indirect, so it wouldn't have to run as much.

Maybe plumb it for flexibility in plans, but more complicated than just going whole hog with the electric.

Ideas?

I would add the electric DHW tank to the cold water line coming in and the HW output to the indirect HW tank.
Just by adding the storage in the basement the new electric tank would pre-warm the water because it would not be as cold as the street or well water. Then you could raise the temp even more with a little electricity up to 70 or 80 Degrees. Then the oil would hardly kick in! That is a good idea, maybe I will do it!

One thing to consider is electric water heaters have anode rods and build up debris that will make there way into your indirect water heater / coil. Not swapping a anode is a common reason coils built into boilers get plugged up( that and never blowing down a water heater) If it were me I would turn off the boiler and run the electric water heater by itself.

Also if your heating or already on stand by maintaining a boiler temperature, I would just use dwh. Savings using electrical come from turning off the boiler.

Ok, thanks.
I will probably maintain the capability of heating with the indirect, but drain it, since I'll probably use the elec. heater all year because, hopefully, the insert will be carrying most of the heat load.

If it werent for my garage, I would have the boiler on stand-by with no low limit, and be heating water with electricity. But because my garage needs the boiler, I heat the DHW with it it as well.

One good reason for me to keep the indirect capability would be to heat water in a blackout.

Well you shouldn't need to drain it anyways, valve it off, unhook thermostat, and turn off boiler low limit, if it has that option. Leak check often if the boiler never gets turned off. If it leaks you gotta leave it on standby anyways.

It's been operating as a cold start so I would think it should be okay, leak-wise.
Would there be a concern for something like Legionaires'? (On the 'shell' side of the heat exchanger, if that's the right term here, where the domestic hot water resides.)

Legionaires thrives around 77-113*. You can always drain it to be on the safe side, good time to blow it down too. I'd probably just valve it, when its time to use it, heat the water up to 160* then flush the system.

Yeah, I might never use it again though, except in a power outage.

On another note, who'd thought the 40 gallon water heater box would fit in the back of a Mini Cooper...with the hatch closed!

Legionaires thrives around 77-113*. You can always drain it to be on the safe side, good time to blow it down too. I'd probably just valve it, when its time to use it, heat the water up to 160* then flush the system.

Exactly! Well said sir! Valve it off and drain the indirect in the summer. I'm EXTERMLY cheap when it comes to heating my water also, or anything else for that matter, but it is not worth the risk. The idea of connecting two (EWH and Indirect) together does nothing unless there is flow so say we had two EWH piped in series, the first one (well water in) just heats all the incomming water and has standby losses. The second one just has standby loss as it recieves hot water from the first. The only time the second one would do anything other that maintain itself (standby loss) is if a large enough draw cooled the first tank to the point it'd give the second tank cool water.

A tank as a buffer before a heating apliance will let the temp rise a bit and sweat all over the place rusting itself out. Or you could insulate it (think boilermate) and now the "heat" can't get in.

TS

I will say that I cut out the sweating on my well and softener tanks by wrapping them in some thin foam underlayment wrap.

I plumbed it in parallel with isolation valves so I can switch if I want, and put in some heat traps.
The joints sure don't look pretty but they don't leak.

IMGP2371.JPG

Well done velvet! Thats how I would have done it.

TS

Thanks. I put the water heater on a piece of 2" xps foam I had laying around. I'll insulate the pipes and maybe put a blanket on it.

Here is final picture...although I'm still thinking about putting a blanket on it.
It'll never look as pretty, though.

electric water heater.jpg

Looks good!

Every time I see a nice neat job I curse the plumber that did my initial install. I like to think I'm doing a decent job with the stuff I'm adding on but it's hard when you start with a mess.

K

Here is final picture...although I'm still thinking about putting a blanket on it.
It'll never look as pretty, though.

View attachment 74187
Hi!

I know this is an old thread, but it is about exactly what I am looking to find out. I have a lpg gas boiler, (Cold start) for hydronic house heating. I also have a 40 gallon Boilermate for domestic (off the boiler of course). And so in the middle of the summer the boiler is called (from the Boilermate for domestic) and runs for a long time (cold start) to satisfy Boilermate. This summer I installed an electric hot water heater (EHWH) in the basement right underneath the kitchen sink, (5 seconds for hot water out of kitchen sink, used to be 50 seconds, Boilermate at the far other end of Basement) We fed the EHWH from the supply from the Boilermate. I turned the Boilermate off this summer. I do not have a bypass in place for the Boilermate.

My question. Now that my Boiler is starting to run for hydronic heat what should I do with Boilermate? How low can I set it so to act as "preheat" for EHWH and do I have to worry about Legionairres, if I set Boilermate to less that 120f?

Thanks for any thoughts?

"We fed the EHWH from the supply from the Boilermate."
I take that to mean the outlet of the Boilermate goes to the input of the electric water heater?

This is assuming you like to run your wood stoves as much as possible, and so, might be starting up the boiler just to heat up the indirect, which maybe you don't want.

Maybe you could rig things up so that the indirect's aquastat circuit is completed only when there is a call for heat. If priority was off, then the indirect's pump would stop when the call for room heat shuts off-while minimizing the boiler run time, maybe it wouldn't get the water temp up that high. If priority was on, the indirect's pump would run until the boilermate's aquastat turns it off, and then the zone would heat up to setpoint. You'd be storing more heat in the Boilermate, which might be a little weak in the insulation department, and might need a fiberglass wrap. The Boilermate would then act as a mini buffer tank so that the boiler would run longer, which is usually a good thing, I think.

Edit: Although, oil is cheap now, lol. It's hard to get out of the expensive oil mindset.

I take that to mean the outlet of the Boilermate goes to the input of the electric water heater?

Correct...

This is assuming you like to run your wood stoves as much as possible, and so, might be starting up the boiler just to heat up the indirect, which maybe you don't want.

LPG boiler runs radiant in floor, which I am only just starting to trun on and use, up till now I have been using Scan Anderson woodstove in the evening and also the Mini-split a little in the mornings (both in living room which is open to kitchen etc)

Maybe you could rig things up so that the indirect's aquastat circuit is completed only when there is a call for heat.

Ahh ok, a frined suggested that i find a thermostat swtich off an old EHWH and attach it to the boiler and use it to swtich on the Boilermate (only when the boiler is on and running) Same thing you are suggesting essentially, correct?

If priority was off, then the indirect's pump would stop when the call for room heat shuts off-while minimizing the boiler run time, maybe it wouldn't get the water temp up that high. If priority was on, the indirect's pump would run until the boilermate's aquastat turns it off, and then the zone would heat up to setpoint. You'd be storing more heat in the Boilermate, which might be a little weak in the insulation department, and might need a fiberglass wrap. The Boilermate would then act as a mini buffer tank so that the boiler would run longer, which is usually a good thing, I think.

Any worries about less that 120f water sittingin the Boilermate (eg Legionnaires?)

Status
Not open for further replies.