How to prevent rust on pot over stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
I purchased a cast iron pot that's supposed to go on the stove top, to add some humidity in the air. It's rusted and smells now. How do I clean out the rust? Do I re-seal it like you could a cast iron skillet for cooking?

And so now I've just been using a stainless steel pot, and it's starting to rust. Any tips and trick for keeping it clean? Can I add anything to the water to prevent it from rusting? Or just scrub daily?

I think my cast iron pots were painted with stove paint. It's a lot of work and can make a mess on the top of the stove. So haven't done it in years. But do miss the smell.

The humidity added is negligible. Rust is unavoidable. My guess is antique iron holds up better. Put the pot on a slab of soapstone. So it will be a very low boil, but steam will still be created. I at one point had fatwood starter sticks and put them in my kettle, and could definitely smell the pine aroma. Try potpourri of some kind and see what happens. Scrubbing would be a waste of time and not very practical.

Reactions: marty319
I have a plain old black antique cast iron hot water kettle, have had it at least 30 -35 years and have found over time that it is impossible from keeping it from rusting so no longer use it. You can buy one in porcelain which will not rust but so much more $$ to purchase. When I really need humidity I use an old thick aluminum cooking pot my wife no longer wanted, but the boiling water and evaporation leaves a white powdery residue in the bottom of it.

Had one of those ,in the scrap bin at the landfill now

I used a cheap porcelain kettle, and the porcelain started chipping off. I bought a cast iron kettle. Two times a month, I use a toothbrush to clean any rust (usually just around the lid and inside) and then put a coating of Crisco on those areas and heat. The kettle has stayed in good condition.
Amazon product ASIN B001AT5CF8

Reactions: BillBurns
I would scrub it with SOS pads or something like those. Then, soak in vinegar and water, for 30 mins. Just make it 50/50 vinegar to water. If it works right, you can then season as normal for cast iron. I collect skillets and such, and this works for me.

I use a small stainless steel bucket that I fill up daily if needed.

Lately, my wood has had quite a bit of surface moisture though, so baking it all off in the wood rack next to the stove for a day or two is my way to get my achieved result.

Reactions: BillBurns