Q&A How to protect cast iron stove from rust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I inherited a '96 Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim from the previous inhabitants that has seriously rusted due to water coming down the flue liner. I spent several days getting the rust off, and now I'm wondering how to give the cast iron a protective coating (obviously I am fixing the flue too). The cast iron is entirely unpainted and I'd hate to spray paint it. I'm concerned that using a light oil rub or WD-40 will cause smells and perhaps even flames when the stove gets hot. Is there an alternative?

Answer:

The outside of this stove was simply painted with high temp stove paint, and this is what you should use to restore it. Two well known brands are Stove Bright and Thermolux. The inside should be fine just with a wire brushing, but if you want it to look nice you could also paint it with stove paint. The griddle can be restored by rubbing well with fine steel wool and then applying a light coal of machine oil or kerosene...another trick is to rub it with wax paper. Both the stove and griddle will smell the first few times that you fire them after restoration.

Status
Not open for further replies.