How to remove damper assembly from VC Winterwarm large?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dr. Bigglesworth

Jan 11, 2021
MA
Hi,

I have a Vermont Casting Winterwarm large insert. I need to remove the damper assembly in order to replace it. I have all the panels removed from the top, sides, back and bottom, the two bolts, and the damper arm. The damper assembly frame moves a very little, like a 16th of an inch, in and out (front to back). There is nothing obvious that I can see/feel holding it in. Is there anything else I need to do to be able to remove this damper assembly? Any suggestions appreciated. Pictures enclosed.

Thank you,

Austin

20210107_215911.jpg 20210107_220240.jpg 20210107_220319.jpg

Hi,

I have a Vermont Casting Winterwarm large insert. I need to remove the damper assembly in order to replace it. I have all the panels removed from the top, sides, back and bottom, the two bolts, and the damper arm. The damper assembly frame moves a very little, like a 16th of an inch, in and out (front to back). There is nothing obvious that I can see/feel holding it in. Is there anything else I need to do to be able to remove this damper assembly? Any suggestions appreciated. Pictures enclosed.

Thank you,

Austin

View attachment 271786 View attachment 271787 View attachment 271788
desperately trying to find someone who has experience in changing out the damper. I saw your post with the very familiar pistures. i have been looking at same view as your pictures all day today. can you help in any way possible. how did your job go. i can't quite figure out how the damper is connected. or am i going to be able to attach the damper without having to pull insert out and going in from the top. will i be able to change damper from inside ? any help will be appreciated friend.
Grime180.
PS i really enjoyed taking out throat center console bolt.

Did you ever figure out how to remove the damper? I have to remove mine to replace gasket. Not sure how to do it. Thanks.
I’m trying to also remove the upper plate and damper I did it several years ago buy lifting up from the bottom but I think it may be warped have you had any luck. Thanks

no i have not yet because i cant understand how to re-attach the damper swing arm to the

Damper Swing Arm Retainer without having to pull out entire insert and doing so from above. i need to understand it attatching the to from inside is possible. and help would be greatly appreciated.​

This thread is almost 2 yrs old and the original poster has 1 posting and hasn't posted since. I would check to see if there is a service manual for your stove. I know there is one for mine.. I would.see if @bholler or @begreen can help you with getting your information. They may know a member with this stove

I haven't seen a functioning one of these in years

Longer than that for me. I took one out years ago, but not to put it back together.
@firefighterjake do you recall how to do this?

no i have not yet because i cant understand how to re-attach the damper swing arm to the

Damper Swing Arm Retainer without having to pull out entire insert and doing so from above. i need to understand it attatching the to from inside is possible. and help would be greatly appreciated.​

I don’t really see how you can. I finally figured mine out on the upper front piece on the right hand side of the stove. You have a 7/16 bolt that holds the upper plate then you can remove the other two 7/16 bolts on the damper, and both pieces will come down, do your self a favor and cut some 2x4s to help hold everything up it’ll be a lifesaver on your arms

I don’t really see how you can. I finally figured mine out on the upper front piece on the right hand side of the stove. You have a 7/16 bolt that holds the upper plate then you can remove the other two 7/16 bolts on the damper, and both pieces will come down, do your self a favor and cut some 2x4s to help hold everything up it’ll be a lifesaver on your arms
Hello, Were you replacing damper gasket? were you ablecto remove assembly from inside? did you take any pictures during disassembly? I also have a large winter warm and the damper gasket needs to be replaced. I suspect I can't do a good job replacing gadget rope unless I remove assembly

Yes I figured it out. But didn’t take any pictures. Taking it down is not hard but to put it back up cut some 2x4’s before you remove the damper assembly. This will help a lot. I removed the main bolt that holds the two throat pieces and the two bolts on the side that holds the assembly. Note there is a flat style nut on these and they may fall so keep your hand there to remove it. There is another bolt on the right side by the front When you remove this the front top will be able to be removed then the damper assembly will drop out easy. If you haven’t done this gasket then it would also be done. Put the damper up first then the front this is when the cut 2x4s work great they are heavy.

Thanks for the reply, I ordered the right size rope for damper but i think all wait until spring and then diss assemble so I can also replace the catilic converter. I had a sweeper inspect and clean it out last month. He did a great job its running pretty good even with damper gasket leaks.