How to remove firebricks without damage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydee

Apr 11, 2010
north GA
Hi again -

I just got a sweet deal - small Buck Stove, $500, never used, from a private seller. It's going to fit in the fireplace, but only with some maneuvering, which means all extraneous
weight has to go until it's in place.

I've removed the door, and started removing firebrick. I'm having trouble removing the bricks, because each piece is silicone-glued in place. I pried off a few bricks using a screwdriver, but
the ones that aren't budging will get their ends chewed up if I continue this way. Any suggestions? Or should I just forget about removing the brick and get a few more people to help me
move the stove?

They cost a couple of bucks apiece. Break what ya gotta break.

Like BB said, they're cheap enough to replace, but maybe try fishing line or dental floss...
If you can get it started at one end, use a sawing motion & work your way thru...

I've never heard of a stove that had the firebricks cemented in place...is this routine with some stove manufacturers? In both of my stoves, the bricks are just set in place with no adhesive of any kind. In any case, as others have said, replacement bricks are cheap. Rutland packages them up in 6-packs, which can be had from Ace hardware for about 20 bucks, so 3 bucks and change a brick. Rick

I would not worry about the broken ones....They cost $1.20 in my area brand new for the splits and the whole are around $1.40. I have cemented mine in the furnace, good luck

stoveguy2esw said:
we do it for display stoves in our burn trailers. they are a PITA to remove, i dunno why one would do it for a "stock" unit (meaning not a display in a trailer such as ours)

Ya do it for the baffle boards in your stoves these days. I guess so they don't move around in shipping. Of course one good fire and the stuff is up the chimney.

Thanks for your responses. I borrowed some pry bars from a friend, and will a little "persuasion", the fire bricks came up fine. But I'm not gluing them back in place!

I figured it was close to 50 pounds worth of firebrick. That and a heavy door removed helped my two friends lift something at least a little lighter. It was a bear to get into place anyway -
a very close fit - so I'm glad I did what I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.