How to seal this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
don't bother to seal it, it won't be a problem. when the snout was tightened it should have pulled up pretty tight

humpin iron is the pro and I am just a Hairy Homeowner but the ones I have installed I have always sealed with furnace cement because there is always a gap on both sides. Draft leaks are a fixation with me.

The draft is really strong on the chimney, so I don't think anything would leak, but I would rather seal it up now than have an issue later. The spots I can see are not big at all. You would have trouble getting a toothpick through them. I have a whole tub of refractory cement though. It will only take a small dab to seal the whole thing up.

ikessky said:
The draft is really strong on the chimney, so I don't think anything would leak, but I would rather seal it up now than have an issue later. The spots I can see are not big at all. You would have trouble getting a toothpick through them. I have a whole tub of refractory cement though. It will only take a small dab to seal the whole thing up.

I think the strong draft still creates an issue because that means the worry is not that smoke will get out but cooler air will get in. Every little bit counts to maintain a higher flue temp to keep the exhaust gases warm before exiting the chimney without leaving the
bad particle's behind. If Iam on the right track here.

I filled the gaps with the refractory cement this morning. This should also ensure that I can't somehow knock the T loose and develop new gaps.

And thanks for not making fun of my pink chimney. :red:

Looks like a beautiful Mauve ;)

After this morning I'm really wondering if I should seal around the snout with the refractory cement or if I should go buy some mortar. The refractory cement is a thick paste and I'm wondering how easy it will be to work with in this case.

Personally I wouldn't do it. If you ever need to take that snout out it would be a groan because that stuff dries so hard and adheres to the snout. If you want to seal around it get a piece of large stove gasket at the stove store and pack it around it close to the inside opening. Cracking out the little bit you used for sealing to the tee would be easy but a bunch of it in that thimble would be a hammer and chisel job. You might be able to guess how I know this. :red:

Yeah, I guess I didn't really think about that. The door gasket stuffed between the snout and the masonary will seal it enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.