How to split firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane N

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2012
West Central MN
I have a feeling this has been posted before, but I just found it today and thought it was fantastic.

Don't worry about the maul vs wedge title, just watch how to get stronger hits with the maul. Great stuff.

Good stuff starts about 40 seconds in.

Well, there's 6 minutes and 32 seconds of my life i won't get back.

Well, it is almost supper time so more baloney is served.

Reactions: Shane N
I don't think he ever used a maul before.

if that whole pile of splits was created with this technique I seriously commend his determination. Holy waste of energy Batman!! If this is what I had to do propane at any price would seem a value. This cat needs to spend more time watching you tube videos instead of making them. Thanks for he good laugh this morning.

if that whole pile of splits was created with this technique I seriously commend his determination. Holy waste of energy Batman!! If this is what I had to do propane at any price would seem a value. This cat needs to spend more time watching you tube videos instead of making them. Thanks for he good laugh this morning.
I agree, after a certain point of energy expenditure processing your own wood doesn't seem to make much sense anymore. I sometimes question whether or not the time and effort I put into getting my wood is really worth it. Then I come here and see people relating how they load scrounged wood into the passenger seats of their compact cars after work, take it home and risk serious injury while processing it on their front lawns, then clutter up their driveways with neat little stacks of wood, forcing them to park their cars out on the road for years so the wood has time to season properly, then after years of waiting they get to cart all that dry wood piece by piece through the front door and across the living-room and down the stairs to the room where their wood stove is located, all so they don't have to turn of their thermostat on their walls, and can benefit from a little (free?) heat. ;hm

When I read stuff like that, I start to realize that maybe the amount of work I go through to get my firewood needs satisfied ain't so bad. I guess that's my motivation for coming back here all the time. ;)

If that is how he splits red oak then if he gets some Elm he can start on it with the maul, and finish it with a splitter he buys with his first Social Security check.

If it took that much energy I'd definitely go back to buying all my cords!

The descriptive hints (i.e. "strongest") in the upper right corner were super helpful.

Thats called the kangaroo super hop splitting method strong , stronger and strongest ;lol Someone posted this a few months back of this nut in the sandals . Made me laugh again .
So i tried the hop method today about thru my back out . :p

I have a feeling this has been posted before, but I just found it today and thought it was fantastic.

Don't worry about the maul vs wedge title, just watch how to get stronger hits with the maul. Great stuff.

Good stuff starts about 40 seconds in.

I think they are now using this video as an "enhanced interrogation technique" now that waterboarding has been prohibited at Guantanamo Bay.

Thats called the kangaroo super hop splitting method strong , stronger and strongest ;lol Someone posted this a few months back of this nut in the sandals . Made me laugh again .
So i tried the hop method today about thru my back out . :p

thats proberly because you wernt wearing the correct sandals ....lol

Reactions: JOHN BOY
Bunny hop boy is back!

I've never split this type of wood - but it looks....... like hard work _g

Status
Not open for further replies.