How to store wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frankinri

Sep 17, 2013
I just got a bunch of free wood. I'm wondering whats the best way to store wood? Here is what I have found so far.

Single row is best
location with good air flow and sun

Not sure if this is correct. Also not sure if the wood should be covered.

Single row is best, especially if you are trying to season wood in less time than it really needs (less than 1 or 2 years). If the wood is given its due time, then 2 or even more rows can be fine.

Good airflow is very important. Sun is a bonus.

I like to cover the top of any wood that I plan on burning that year by about now.

Otherwise, I'll cover if I have the material to do it, but won't go out of my way if the wood won't be burned for a few years.

Reactions: JOHN BOY
Still not sure if I should be covering this wood. And if I should be do I only cover the top or the entire stack. Also if just the top is it best to have a small wood roof over it or a tarp.

Your avatar pic is another good way to store wood.:)

Reactions: CTFIRE
Or like this. Dual purpose stack.

der holtz.jpg

Still not sure if I should be covering this wood. And if I should be do I only cover the top or the entire stack. Also if just the top is it best to have a small wood roof over it or a tarp.
Both work well. I use plywood scraps to even out the tops of my stacks and then put a tarp over it. A few carefully placed uglies under the plywood give the roof a good pitch for drainage.

Frank Just c/s/s the wood , put it on pallets or make your own racks with Pressure treated lumbar. Top cover if you like . Most important thing is to keep wood off ground from moisture . If you have the room ,Build a wood shed

Frank Just c/s/s the wood , put it on pallets or make your own racks with Pressure treated lumbar. Top cover if you like . Most important thing is to keep wood off ground from moisture . If you have the room ,Build a wood shed

Do you cover the entire stack with the tarp?

Do you cover the entire stack with the tarp?

Just the top , then about 2 months before ole man winter hits , i let down the tarps to keep the wood completely dry from rain .

I am the guy that top covers the stacks immediately after stacking. I don't care if it is three or fifty years until it is going in the stove. I used to cover the whole collection with a big sheet of rubber roofing but it is so heavy I now cover each row with a strip of it and hammer tack the ends and middle to the stack so I don't have to go drag it out of the woods every time the wind blows.

If you plan on using tarps, get sheets of cardboard, places that sell refrigerators are a good source, and put them under the tarps on top of the wood or wind whipping the tarps will shred them from the rough top of the stacks.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN and pen
Cool thanks. I was also wondering if the wood has a shelf life? I was told after a certain time the wood is no longer good to burn indoors, is this true?

Cool thanks. I was also wondering if the wood has a shelf life? I was told after a certain time the wood is no longer good to burn indoors, is this true?

If you keep it dry (no direct ground contact, good sun exposure, good air circulation, cover the top only)...it'll last longer than you will. Water is the enemy.

Reactions: JOHN BOY
Too many variables
I have oak that is 12 years old and is fine.
I have some yellow birch that got punky in two years.

They'll both burn, the birch will not put out much heat and will likely burn up pretty quick.

Too many variables
I have oak that is 12 years old and is fine.
I have some yellow birch that got punky in two years.

They'll both burn, the birch will not put out much heat and will likely burn up pretty quick.

So I guess it's not that it becomes useless or a danger but just less effective the older it is. How can you tell when it's starting to go from perfect to downhill.

How much is a "bunch"?

To answer your question with some more questions: How long has your wood framed house been standing? And what happens if your roof leaks?

Reactions: pen
If you keep it dry (no direct ground contact, good sun exposure, good air circulation, cover the top only)...it'll last longer than you will. Water is the enemy.

If water is the enemy wouldn't you need to cover the entire stack so it does not get rained on or have snow pile up next to it in the winter? Or would doing this have a negative effect because it would trap moisture and prevent air movement?

If water is the enemy wouldn't you need to cover the entire stack so it does not get rained on or have snow pile up next to it in the winter? Or would doing this have a negative effect because it would trap moisture and prevent air movement?

Exactly!

When it comes to seasoning, you need the air to get to it. During that process, some moisture will undoubtly touch some pieces, but only for a short period and if the wood was solid to start with, it will dry quickly.

Thus, top covering for drying. Once it's getting close to burn time, if you don't have a wood shed, complete covering will help to keep you ready to go.

Or would doing this have a negative effect because it would trap moisture and prevent air movement?

Yup. It ain't rocket science, just keep it as dry as you can while allowing it to season.

So I guess it's not that it becomes useless or a danger but just less effective the older it is.
If you get some nice dry wood that is to old, let us know. Maybe we can help you out.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Not sure I understand where your going with this.

I live in an old farm rural area where every other house has a barn (nearly).

My five year old knows, if a barn is falling down, it's because they didn't take care of the roof.

Keep the internals dry, and you keep the structure.

The analogy follows to the firewood..... especially if it's more than 2 rows deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.