Wood storage: metal carcass+tarps VS wooden shade VS outside stack+tarp next to a stone fence?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yuryk

Feb 17, 2024
Eastern MA
Dear Community!

I am starting to get more and more into learning how to properly handle wood and wood stoves, mostly thanks to you guys and articles on this forum/website. I'm at a point now where I need to store/season some wood myself. Although, I'm not sure what's the best way to do it with options I have. From one side I see it's great if I have space in the house/basement/shed, but from another - wind and sun outside are great. Currently, I'm trying to see if I can use existing structures/ways on my backyard and would appreciate if you guys tell me what you think.

One of the ways is that weird tarp shed I have left from a previous owner:

shed.jpg

It was used by for storing some machinery, so it has some raised wooden bed. And it's not air sealed as you see, it's very similar from both sides - front and back. It basically has metal carcass and tarp on top of it. Do you guys think it would be a good place to store firewood? Since it needs sun and wind, maybe I need to remove those entrance and back tarps to get more wind? Won't be too sunny though... The North is to the left of this picture, so the sun is mostly from the right. And there is another small shed covering some of that sun...

Another alternative is that other small wooden shed, which is not used currently. It's dry inside and it's not completely sealed as you might see, so there is good ventilation, but no sun obviously. Although, no moisture will get in:
shed2.jpg

Or another alternative I have: to stack the wood next to a small stone fence (about 3 feet tall) and then cover it with a tarp. That fence would cover northern side of the stack, so it would get plenty of sun from the other side that way. But there won't be anything to attach the tarp to, so I will have to improvise...

I'm not really sure what's my best option here... Could you guys let me know what you think? Thank you very much in advance!

Reactions: anno Domini
I think either of the three could work if at least wind can get to it. I.e. open sides or doors in the first two.

I am not sure which one would need the longest time for wood to reach<15 pct moisture content...

Regarding stacking it next to a stone fence, it might work with corrugated metal roofing panels, or something like that. Best to avoid condensation from a tarp to leak down on the wood.

In all cases it's best to have the wood off the ground.

Reactions: yuryk
I've stacked wood on pallets or lengths of wood uncovered with no problems. When burning season comes I would cover sections so I always had good dry wood.

As long as it's stacked off the ground with plenty of air circulation the wood will dry. I only top cover the wood I plan to burn for the season starting in October. Next year's wood is stacked in the open air.