How would you stack wood here...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
Don't laugh at the pic! It took some serious effort haha.

The red outline is our detached car port.
The yellow up top is where the sun is in the morning, until about 11am.
The blue on the right is where lots of wind comes from (farmers wide open field).

All wood would be covered from rain.

Wood has been stacked in full sun already, further away. We want to move it closer to the house, under the car port so it's easy in the winter to move inside the house.

Would you re-stack in the front with sun?
Or by the wind side, with the ends pointing towards the wind?

Fyi: This is just to give a little extra seasoning time :)

wood.jpg

If the wood is already dry enough, I’d position the wood for convenience of grabbing it come winter. Also, I’d consider which way the wind would likely blow into the carport in snowstorm conditions if you’re in a high snow area.
I bet the wood will dry out more or less similar in whatever position it’s in at this point.

Reactions: kborndale
Stack it so the wind blows through the space between rows. Sun doesn’t shine on every split but every split will Ben if it from more air flow.
How much wood are you moving? Think ahead to next year.

Stack it so the wind blows through the space between rows. Sun doesn’t shine on every split but every split will Ben if it from more air flow.
How much wood are you moving? Think ahead to next year.
So your saying stack it N/S but on the wind side (right near the blue)?

I agree with ctwoodtick, stack it where it will get the least precipitation on it. Snow covered wood sucks.

Wind is very effective at drying stacks. I would stack it, top-covered, so that the prevailing wind can blow through the stacks.

Both spots are good, but I would go with the windy side. I know here i PA, the sun is rare, lol....but the wind is almost a sure thing most days.