Wood stove different placement for better heating house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wheelhorse

Dec 13, 2023
Pittsburgh Pa
house layoutt.jpg

I cant get the heat out of the game room where wood stove is located it has two doors going into game room (I have ceiling fans in game room, office and kitchen) also I could install ceiling fan in other rooms if you think it would help . I am thinking about moving stove to the red circle location. I currently have an Englander 15-W03. w/ blower. Would a more expensive wood stove work better moving heat or is it better to relocate wood stove or both? Also the game room was originally single car garage that was professionally converted to livable area. House is 1500 sq-ft not including sun room. Not worried about heating sun room. No basement.

I’m would either blow a lot more cold air into the game room, or start making mods.

Mods:
Either put the stove on the x, or put inline fans and duct work to move cold air into the stove room. (Blue)
IMG_2324.jpeg

Reactions: Wheelhorse
Add a second stove on your red circle.

Put the stove where you spend the most time. The proposed new location should do a better job heating if the living/kitchen area is as open as it looks. The game room will end up being the cold spot. Since you are willing to move the stove, I would leave the stove in the game room and just add a stove in the living room.

Eliminate the bulkhead above the double doors. This may require structural consideration...

The best solution might be 2 stoves. If only one choice, the LR location looks good.

Either put the stove on the x, or put inline fans and duct work to move cold air into the stove room. (Blue)
The stove must be located at least 10 ft away from the furnace return grille(s).

Thanks everyone for the response
Keep us updated with your decision and results. It's always nice to know the outcome of the advice chosen.

And welcome to the site. Good group of peeps here.