How to tell if you have a chimney fire, and then, what to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky is King

Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2007
Buffalo NY
For one, I am going on my second year of heating my shop with a small wood stove. I have become increasingly paranoid about the stove. I keep water hses charged all winter incase of a fire and have 15 ABC extinguishers on hand just in case. I have also place 1 gallon jugs of water around the stove (out of the way).

Anyways, I would like to know, how does one determine they have a chimney fire? And what is the best way to put one out? I should not that I have about 7ft of interior pipe, going into a roof box and then about 6ft of double wall pipe going out ont a flat roof. However the pipe itself doesnt extend more than 38inches above the roof line....

I have a lever on the side of the stove istelf which closes the main top door thingy forcing the smoke to go out thruogh a bottom exhaust hole and then up the pipe. I also have a damper in the pipe itself...

so, my geuss here, is in the event of a chimney fire, I would close all the dampers and pray lol.

but I was also thinking i could possibly flood the stove and pipe with water as well...

i dunno... what do you think?

Flooding an over firing stove with water is probably not a good idea, thermal shock and all. Chem extinguishers would be better. Even better would be to shut all the air controls down and stand by. If the stove and stack is to code, it will handle most anything you can throw at it. It CAN harm the stove or pipe, but will probably contain the fire till it cools. Then get clean undies and inspect EVERYTHING.

Being nice and tight with the local fire dept. is also a good thing ;-)

I read somewhere on here that if you are overfiring you can put a fan on your pipe, could this be the same for a chimney fire?

Ok do not throw water on a hot stove. Bad for stove but dangerous for you. You say you have a damper just shut it all the way and then babyset the stove. If you built to good modern regs your system will be ok. Once things cool down then do a check of stove and pipe and surrounding areas. I would be happy with that procedure but some have put forward the idea of putting a wet paper towel inside a plastic bag. You throw the bag in the stove and close the door. The bag gives you enough time to do this without getting burned. The steam from the wet paper towel should help put the fire down. Remember do not throw any water in it will steam up and burn you.

Ducky is King said:
For one, I am going on my second year of heating my shop with a small wood stove. I have become increasingly paranoid about the stove. I keep water hses charged all winter incase of a fire and have 15 ABC extinguishers on hand just in case. I have also place 1 gallon jugs of water around the stove (out of the way).

Anyways, I would like to know, how does one determine they have a chimney fire? And what is the best way to put one out? I should not that I have about 7ft of interior pipe, going into a roof box and then about 6ft of double wall pipe going out ont a flat roof. However the pipe itself doesnt extend more than 38inches above the roof line....

I have a lever on the side of the stove istelf which closes the main top door thingy forcing the smoke to go out thruogh a bottom exhaust hole and then up the pipe. I also have a damper in the pipe itself...

so, my geuss here, is in the event of a chimney fire, I would close all the dampers and pray lol.

but I was also thinking i could possibly flood the stove and pipe with water as well...

If you have a chimney fire close all sources of air and call 911. Last time I checked Buffalo and the surrounding area had some great fire depts. who carry thermal imaging cameras to look for any fire extension in the walls and ceilings. Or you could just wait until you see smoke and give the fire a better chance to burn your house down. Be safe.
Ed

This may seem like a stupid question, but how bad can a chimney fire be? I have an outside masonary chimney lined with stainless steel that rises about 5 feet above the highest point of the house. If my chimney was to catch fire, it would burn all the creosote off, but what else? Would the masonary chimney get so hot as to set the framing of the house a fire? Should I be worried about fire shooting out the top and setting roof on fire? Or is that the fire could come back down and through the stove?
I just thought it would burn off the creosote and thats it.

Lots of smoke comming out the chimney and a roar like a train going by. I closed all vents dialed 911 and called the firedept. They removed the combustables out of the stove and scrubbed the inside of the clay pipe with a wire brush. The used a thermal imaging cammera on the house. The firemen arrived very quickly along with the building inspector. I was issued a red tag and was told I needed to obtain the services of a licensed chimney sweep to install a stainless steel flu pipe and take out a building permit for this work. I am fully capable of installing a stainless steel flue myself but am at a loss for obtaining a licensed chimney sweeper. Any suggections on solving this problem of a license?

I should not that I have about 7ft of interior pipe, going into a roof box and then about 6ft of double wall pipe going out ont a flat roof. However the pipe itself doesnt extend more than 38inches above the roof line....

It sounds like you have a pretty simple chimney to clean. If you are worried about it why not jump up there and run your brush up and down that chimney a couple times. No creosote, no worries.

Of course maybe there is some reason I'm missing that you can't get on your roof?

genmjn said:
Lots of smoke comming out the chimney and a roar like a train going by. I closed all vents dialed 911 and called the firedept. They removed the combustables out of the stove and scrubbed the inside of the clay pipe with a wire brush. The used a thermal imaging cammera on the house. The firemen arrived very quickly along with the building inspector. I was issued a red tag and was told I needed to obtain the services of a licensed chimney sweep to install a stainless steel flu pipe and take out a building permit for this work. I am fully capable of installing a stainless steel flue myself but am at a loss for obtaining a licensed chimney sweeper. Any suggections on solving this problem of a license?

You are lucky they didn't pour water down the chimney. That is what some fire depts will do. Removing what you can from the stove and closing everything off and keeping an eye on things is the best bet. The Inn I frequent in VT had a chimney fire because some guy loaded up WAY too much wood. The owner just brought the logs outside and kept an eye on it. It eventually went out. Had the fire dept come, they would have poured water down it spilling smoke into the building.. which would not have been good.

It's your house, anywhere here in Maine you can do work on your own house without a license, but it has to be done to code if a permit is issued for it.

I'd discuss it with the "official" who issued the "red tag". And you might research the code in your area regarding "owner installed work". Forearmed is forewarned. Find where you're allowed to do the work, and try to discuss it with him. If he's not up for discussion, show him the code where it says you can.

Then study it close and hard, because when he comes to inspect it, it will be "white glove" all the way.

genmjn said:

Ducky is King said:

Chances are if you have a chimney fire you'll know it because most folks say it sounds like a) a US Airways jet is about to attempt to take off/land in your chimney, b) Amtrak has opted to run a new route through your chimney or c) a tornado has just touched down in your chimney and it sounds like you're on your way to Oz.

How to put it out . . . of course prevention is best . . . but if a fire happens go with your Plan A -- close off the damper, shut down the air, etc.

Plan B is "B" for BAD . . . as in a very bad idea. Adding too much water all at once can result in problems for the stove, flue and possibly you as the water will turn to steam . . . steam has more volume . . . and doing so can result in bad things happening.

shawnmd said:
This may seem like a stupid question, but how bad can a chimney fire be? I have an outside masonary chimney lined with stainless steel that rises about 5 feet above the highest point of the house. If my chimney was to catch fire, it would burn all the creosote off, but what else? Would the masonary chimney get so hot as to set the framing of the house a fire? Should I be worried about fire shooting out the top and setting roof on fire? Or is that the fire could come back down and through the stove?
I just thought it would burn off the creosote and thats it.

Where I live in the country the real concern is a chimney fire in a masonry chimney without a liner . . . not legal . . . but there are a lot of folks burning wood in these old chimneys regardless since no permit is needed. The concern with this practice is a chimney fire could in theory send a spark/flame through a cracked/missing piece of brick and catch the framing or other nearby combustibles on fire.

The other concern with a sustained chimney fire would be as you have surmised -- catching the framing on fire . . . more of a concern with older, unapproved chimneys once again.

And as mentioned . . . having a blowtorch shooting out of the top of your chimney usually isn't a good thing either.

Honestly, most chimney fires I've seen are not real major issues . . . except to the home owner who is a bit alarmed by the jet about to take off in their chimney and the five-foot blowtorch lighting up the neighborhood like a giant birthday candle . . . but on occasion a chimney fire has and can develop into a structure fire.

snowtime said:
Ok do not throw water on a hot stove. Bad for stove but dangerous for you. You say you have a damper just shut it all the way and then babyset the stove. If you built to good modern regs your system will be ok. Once things cool down then do a check of stove and pipe and surrounding areas. I would be happy with that procedure but some have put forward the idea of putting a wet paper towel inside a plastic bag. You throw the bag in the stove and close the door. The bag gives you enough time to do this without getting burned. The steam from the wet paper towel should help put the fire down. Remember do not throw any water in it will steam up and burn you.

I wish I would have remembered this. I hope others finding out about using a bag with a wet paper towel or two or three will make sure they put it in a small bag, wadded up well. I am having visions of somebody with a large bag, trying to toss it in but having to stuff it in at the last minute in the VERY HOT stove, meanwhile the bag is melting all over... sorry, I know it's not what you said, just what went through my head. :roll:

Here's for all the Google Clusters looking for a quick fix! Wait a minute, can we add tags here? Oh well, this will do just fine. "WOOD STOVE BURNING" "HOW TO PUT THE FIRE OUT" "stove red hot" and my favorite, "How to cool down your woodstove"

Again, sorry, but I had an issue with a wood stove that wasn't equipped with large enough gaskets around the door. The ones used on the opening fell off today & I paid for it tonight. All is well. BTW, I did throw a pot of water on top of it, then inside it. Afterwards I found the fire extinguisher. (sigh)

ps, oh look, my status is firestarter.. fancy that!

If you are very paranoid about a chimney fire get the chimney clean more often maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Thats what I would do,
worrying about a house fire all the time is not healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.