How to tune the stove so brown residue doesn't build up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Qster

Nov 22, 2013
NW CT
Hi everyone--

I'm pretty new to pellets--I've been burning wood in an insert for years, but this is about my mom's Lopi Yankee Bay pellet stove. She is burning LaCretes, about a bag and a half a day, and I go over there once a week to clean it and about every other day to reload it.

It gets this brown soot on the glass within about a day or so after cleaning, which is not like my wood insert. Is the any guide on how to adjust it so it starts clear for a couple of days? Couldn't find anything when I searched, but maybe I missed it.

The stove controls say high fan and medium heat output. It's on a thermostat set for 70 about 15 hours a day. Mostly for space heating. There's an air control on the left that is set to "1." the manual wasn't much help.

Sorry for the noob question. If someone could point me to a link or two, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

Hey, I don't think I'm going to be much help here but I think that's pretty normal. I'm not sure there is anything you can do about that. It's not the pellets, I've burned LaCretes year round several times and they're good pellets. So, I'm not sure what you mean by brown soot on the glass but pretty much any pellet is going to give you soot on the glass within a day of cleaning. Mine tends to center right in the middle.

For me, if it starts getting worse it's because I need a full cleaning. Take the walls off, clean the chimney, scrub the heat exchanger. I do this about twice a year. A very deep cleaning.

Hey, I don't think I'm going to be much help here but I think that's pretty normal. I'm not sure there is anything you can do about that. It's not the pellets, I've burned LaCretes year round several times and they're good pellets. So, I'm not sure what you mean by brown soot on the glass but pretty much any pellet is going to give you soot on the glass within a day of cleaning. Mine tends to center right in the middle.

For me, if it starts getting worse it's because I need a full cleaning. Take the walls off, clean the chimney, scrub the heat exchanger. I do this about twice a year. A very deep cleaning.

Thanks! I thought I was doing something wrong!

The stove is great and puts out a lot of amazing heat. I was just worried because my wood stove glass tends to stay clear as long as I am burning hot and efficient fires. I thought I must have it set wrong. Thanks for the heads up!

Dunno but that seems like a lot of pellets for 15 hours... my big e to keep the house between 70-80 If I forget to turn it down only uses about 1/2 -3/4 bag in the same time frame...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Try some Rutland glass cleaner or ceramic stove top cleaner. It will coat the glass making it slippery. That may help a bit.

Reactions: Qster
Hello
You must take off or blow out the air wash bracket on the inside of the door. If it gets plugged then the glass gets dirty much quicker!

Attachments

• CB410B3C-3724-4B7B-BB10-738C12253243.png
    CB410B3C-3724-4B7B-BB10-738C12253243.png
    319.9 KB · Views: 142
Dunno but that seems like a lot of pellets for 15 hours... my big e to keep the house between 70-80 If I forget to turn it down only uses about 1/2 -3/4 bag in the same time frame...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Hi--I'm sorry,I got it backwards. It's actually a bag about every day and a half. Thanks for the feedback. This is all pretty new to me!

Hello
You must take off or blow out the air wash bracket on the inside of the door. If it gets plugged then the glass gets dirty much quicker!

Thanks! I am heading over there to clean it out and will try this today. Will let you know.