How to turn off pellet feeding at the end of turn off procedure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Darkwing

Oct 11, 2018
New Jersey
Hello and happy delayed turkey day to all.

Its the new heating season and after all my expereinces and improvements on the stove i was happy to see that he started and runs just like hoped...
But there is still one anoing thing...
When i turn it off, and it is done with everything, it throws pellets i to the burnpot as last service before done.
I always have to open the lid when turning off to prevent this...
If i dont and i restart the stove, the burnpot is overflowing and i actually dont need any pellets in burnpot when turning off, sometimes there are still ambers and it smoldering away...

Any ideas?

Oops, just realized that my signature with stove details is gone.
So its a us stove king 5502m kp130

Hi Darkwing,

You forgot to mention what stove you are using. In your signature you list two stoves. If it's the Englander with the DIY controller then you may need to revise your design.

Hmm...
So u can see my signature?
Ok...either way...thx for the quick reply and it is tha 5502m

Hi Darkwing,

I have to go shopping today leaving in a few minutes. Hopefully someone else can chime on. Does it just keep dumping them in every few seconds until you open the lid or does it eventually stop? If it still keeps dumping them in and never stops until you trigger it with the lid sensor my guess would be that there is a relay that is going bad (could be external or soldered to the control board) or some sort of sensor that is bad or has bad wiring. Is the stove new/'new to you'? If no, how long have you been burning pellets with it.

No it eventually stops, it looks like it preps for next start but it also dumps on start so both rogejter os overfilling burn pot...but i would love to keep the turn on dumping and get rid of the turn off dumping

I would almost say that is a control board issue... What does the user manual say their should be some info in their on the shut down procedure

Hello zrock...
Unfortunately they call that a feature and not a bug...
But i was hoping that someone knows internal setting hacks to turn that off...

When i turn it off, and it is done with everything, it throws pellets i to the burnpot as last service before done.
I always have to open the lid when turning off to prevent this...
If i dont and i restart the stove, the burnpot is overflowing and i actually dont need any pellets in burnpot when turning off, sometimes there are still ambers and it smoldering away...
This is a safety feature to prevent burn back up the auger tube and into the hopper. Personal I would not change the default settings that said it is your stove your house. The C codes C19 and C20 can shut off this feature set either or both to 0 and it will not bump any pellets on shutdown. If you just adjust C20 you can shorten the time pellets are pushed into the burn pot on shut down thus you will have less pellets in the burn pot. C19 controls the rate lbs per hour adjust lower less pellets, again setting either at 0 will stop the bumping at shutdown. If you want less pellets at start up you could adjust C15 this adjust the time pellets are pushed into burn pot at start up, less time less pellets. Your default rates might be different then those stated. Again burn back into the hopper is a real thing so make any adjustments at your own risk.

To adjust the operation constants "C Codes" , press the hold the MODE and AUGER DELAY buttons simultaneously
for 3 seconds. The display will show “C-1”. Use the HEAT RANGE UP or HEAT RANGE DOWN buttons to
change the constant number (see the list of vales below). When the desired constant is displayed, press
the ON button to toggle between viewing and editing the value. While editing a parameter, use the AUX
again to return to the constant number list. Press the OFF button to exit the operational constants
mode.

C15- Auger load time (0-30) – This variable is used to control the length of time that the fuel is
augured into the burn pot during startup. The default is 6 minutes.

C19- Bump rate in pounds per hour (0-0.5) – The bump rate defines the rate of fuel to be
delivered when the unit is over temperature or in shutdown to prevent burn back

C20- Purge time (0-120) – The purge time defines how many seconds to run the auger to purge
it on power down or shutdown as the stove moves from a warm state to a cool state. It is
intended to push and partially heated pellets still in the auger tube out. By default, the auger
will run for 30 seconds, but can be set between 0 and 120.

Oh wow...thx so much...thats a bunch of info...and def what i need...
In terms of backburn...since my pellet stove drops pellets from a long chute down into the burnpot and does not have like my other an auger that trasnports the pellets straight into the fire, i dont think that there is any chance that pellets could get into contact with fire to backburn...
Will test around...
THX!!!

Reactions: ARC
This is a safety feature to prevent burn back up the auger tube and into the hopper. Personal I would not change the default settings that said it is your stove your house. The C codes C19 and C20 can shut off this feature set either or both to 0 and it will not bump any pellets on shutdown. If you just adjust C20 you can shorten the time pellets are pushed into the burn pot on shut down thus you will have less pellets in the burn pot. C19 controls the rate lbs per hour adjust lower less pellets, again setting either at 0 will stop the bumping at shutdown. If you want less pellets at start up you could adjust C15 this adjust the time pellets are pushed into burn pot at start up, less time less pellets. Your default rates might be different then those stated. Again burn back into the hopper is a real thing so make any adjustments at your own risk.

To adjust the operation constants "C Codes" , press the hold the MODE and AUGER DELAY buttons simultaneously
for 3 seconds. The display will show “C-1”. Use the HEAT RANGE UP or HEAT RANGE DOWN buttons to
change the constant number (see the list of vales below). When the desired constant is displayed, press
the ON button to toggle between viewing and editing the value. While editing a parameter, use the AUX
again to return to the constant number list. Press the OFF button to exit the operational constants
mode.

C15- Auger load time (0-30) – This variable is used to control the length of time that the fuel is

C19- Bump rate in pounds per hour (0-0.5) – The bump rate defines the rate of fuel to be

C20- Purge time (0-120) – The purge time defines how many seconds to run the auger to purge
it on power down or shutdown as the stove moves from a warm state to a cool state. It is
intended to push and partially heated pellets still in the auger tube out. By default, the auger
Hello and thx agian for this awesome answer...it worked like a charm and due to my theory adn stove design, back burn was not possible.
Saved me a hack of tinkering...thx again...
When you now also know how to deactivate the lid switch...i mean without tinkering on the hardware?!?!
I have collected so far this info...maybe you know any more of the missing ones...

THX!!!
C- 1 - Reset to defaults (hold Mode and Auger Delay buttons for 3 seconds to
reset all to defaults)

C- 2 - Fuel Lbs Per Hour HR 1 (0-5.0) - This is the fuel rate in pounds per hour
for a heat range setting of 1. The default is 1.75lbs.

C- 3 - Fuel Lbs Per Hour HR 9 (0-5.0) - This is the fuel rate in pounds per hour
for a heat range setting of 5. The default is 4.5lbs. The fuel rates used between
settings 1 and 5 are linearly interpolated between these two settings.

C- 4 - Draft Fan Level HR 1 (0-500) - This is the Draft fan output level for a draft
fan setting of 1. The default is 100/500.

C- 5 - Draft Fan Level HR 9 (0-500) - This is the Draft fan output level for a draft
fan setting of 9. The default is 300/500. See next parameter for disbursement.

C6 Auger on =0 Auger off =1

C7 Temp Ramp up time? Default =120sec

C8 Start up time out Default = 30mins

C9 Over temp Shut down Default = 445*

C10 Over temp cut back Default = 430*

C11?

C12 Room fan start up temp Default= 110*

C13?

C14?

C16?

C17 Calculate ambiant air temp default = 0 (will expand later)

C18 Room Fan Full on Default 0 (normal operation) 1= full on

C21?

Reactions: ARC
C6- Monitor Hopper Switch (0-1) – If this parameter is set to 0 (default), the hopper switch input
is ignored. If it is set to 1, the hopper input is monitored, and if the hopper is opened, the auger
will stop. The delay LED will flash when the hopper is opened.

Some of the C codes have nothing to do with your 6041 and the defaults might not be the same on your stove.

To adjust the operation constants, press the hold the MODE and AUGER DELAY buttons simultaneously
mode.
 C1- Reset to defaults (hold Mode and Auger Delay buttons for 3 seconds to reset all to defaults).
 C2- Fuel Lbs. per Hour HR 1 (0-5.0) – This is the fuel rate in pounds per hour for a heat range
setting of 1. The default is 1.75 lbs.
 C3- Fuel lbs. per Hour HR 9 (0-5.0) – This is the fuel rate in pounds per hour for a heat range
setting of 5. The default is 4.5lbs. The fuel rates used between setting 1 and 5 are linearly
interpolated between these two settings.
 C4- Draft Fan Level HR 1 (0-500) – This is the draft fan output level for a draft fan setting of 9.
The default is 150
 C5- Draft Fan Level HR 9 (0-500) – This is the draft fan output level for a draft fan setting of 9.
The default is 350. See next parameter for disbursement.
 C6- Monitor Hopper Switch (0-1) – If this parameter is set to 0 (default), the hopper switch input
is ignored. If it is set to 1, the hopper input is monitored, and if the hopper is opened, the auger
will stop. The delay LED will flash when the hopper is opened.
 C7- Ramp Seconds for increasing level (0-300) – When the heat range setting is adjusted, control
will ramp from the current setting to the target setting to avoid abrupt changes in the outputs
that could cause problems with the flame quality. The ramp seconds value sets the amount of
time to spend on each heat range setting (1-9 pseudo ranges not 1-3 user ranges) as the current
setting is ramping toward the target. If the current setting is ramping down toward a lower
target, the ramp value is half this number. The default value is 90 seconds.
 C8- Startup Minutes for detecting Warm Stove – (10-60) this is the amount of time the control
will wait for the stove to reach the warm temperature (110 Degrees F) after the stove has been
started before shutting down and reporting an Error condition Err3. The default is 30minutes.
 C9- Over temp Set point – (0-500) this is the temperature the flue gas can reach before an over
temp condition exists. If the measured temperature is higher than this set point, the control will
stop auguring fuel until the temperature returns to a safe operating point. The default is 445
degrees.
 C10- Cutback Set point – This is the temperature that the flue gas can reach before a cutback
condition exists. If the measured temperature is higher than this set point, the control ramps
down the heat range according to the auger ramp seconds value. The default is 430 degrees.
 C11- Room fan on set point – (0-300) this is the temperature that the measured flue gas must
reach before the room fan turns on. This variable also serves to indicate to the control that the
stove is warm. If the measured temperature is higher than this set point, the stove is considered
warm and will not create an Er3. Whether or not the stove is warm also determines if the unit
will recover from a power failure. If the stove is warm when the power is lost and cold when it
returns, it will shut down with an Er4 error. The default is 130 degrees.
 C12- Cold stove set point – (0-300) this variable is used to determine when the stove is cold and
ready to be shut down. If during the shutdown sequence the measured temperature is less than
this value, the stove will stop running the fans to cool it off. The default is 110 degrees.
 C13- Room fan level HR 9 (0-500) – this is the output level applied to the room fan for a setting o
1. The default values is 300/500.
 C14- Room fan level HR 9 (0-500) – This is the output level applied to the room fan for a setting
of 9. The default value is 500/500. The room fan output levels used between settings 1 and 9 are
linearly interpolated between these two settings.
 C15- Auger load time (0-30) – This variable is used to control the length of time that the fuel is
 C16- Starter on time (0-30) – This variable is used to control the length of time that the igniter is
turned on during startup. The default is 8 minutes.
 C17- Ignore fuse errors (0-1) – This variable can be used to ignore errors detected by open fuses.
By default, it is o (do not ignore the vacuum switch), but can be set to 1 for diagnostic of
emergency operation purpose.
 C18- Ignore vacuum switch (0-1) – This variable can be used to ignore the vacuum switch. By
default it 0 (do not ignore the vacuum switch), but can be set to 1 for diagnostic or emergency
operation purposes.
 C19- Bump rate in pounds per hour (0-0.5) – The bump rate defines the rate of fuel to be
delivered when the unit is over temperature or in shutdown to prevent burn back, Since this
stove design isn’t conductive to burn back, the default setting is 0lbs. per hour, but can be
adjusted to a maximum of 0.5lbs per hour.
 C20- Purge time (0-120) – The purge time defines how many seconds to run the auger to purge
 C21- Enable serial communication (0-10 – By default, serial communication is not enabled (0).
Set this variable to 1 to enable communication.

Last edited: