How too? new installation into brick chimney with clay liner.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harley1

Dec 19, 2015
United States
Hello all, looking for advise on properly installing a wood stove using the brick/clay liner that used to be for an oil furnace that is no longer in use. The stove will e installed in the basement on a cement floor against a block foundation. The chimney is up against the block foundation and then runs up through the living room which has sheet rock around it. From what i can see in the attic and on the roof, the brick is in great shape, but dont know for sure the condition of the clay liner. My plan was to run 6" double wall black pipe from the stove with a 90 and a 24" into the chimney and liner with refractory cement to fill the gap around the dbl wall black pipe. Thanks for any advise you might have.

Hello all, looking for advise on properly installing a wood stove using the brick/clay liner that used to be for an oil furnace that is no longer in use. The stove will e installed in the basement on a cement floor against a block foundation. The chimney is up against the block foundation and then runs up through the living room which has sheet rock around it. From what i can see in the attic and on the roof, the brick is in great shape, but dont know for sure the condition of the clay liner. My plan was to run 6" double wall black pipe from the stove with a 90 and a 24" into the chimney and liner with refractory cement to fill the gap around the dbl wall black pipe. Thanks for any advise you might have.
I should add that the stove is a brand new EPA 40,000 max btu, and is a very small stove. Dont kniw if that matters but prob wont burn as hot as some others.

You need to have the chimney inspected. You really need to know what condition those liners are in before you start burning wood in that chimney. You also need to know if you have the required clearance to combustibles around that chimney

Welcome. Follow bholler's advice and get the chimney liner and installation inspected. You'll also need to know the chimney's inside dimensions. If the flue liner is too large then it may not work properly with the stove. What is the make and model of stove going in? A small stove in the basement may only heat the basement, especially if the basement is uninsulated.

Welcome. Follow bholler's advice and get the chimney liner and installation inspected. You'll also need to know the chimney's inside dimensions. If the flue liner is too large then it may not work properly with the stove. What is the make and model of stove going in? A small stove in the basement may only heat the basement, especially if the basement is uninsulated.
Thanks guys! The stove is a new Century S244.
I will find someone to inspect. Is it ok to use a dbl wall black pipe to go through the brick and clay liner? I know it would be best to i stall a stainless liner but would like to be able to get by for a year or two before the investment of a liner. Thanks again!

I would probably stop the double-wall at the face of the chimney and use a short section of single-wall stainless to run through the thimble that is crimped on the stove pipe end and terminated flush with the clay liner inside. If this setup is approved then be sure the clean out door is gasketed or sealed tightly so that there is no air leakage into the chimney.

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.