How well does BIRCH burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like these:
cob.jpg

"How about black birch, a friend has cut down a bunch of trees he claims is black birch, how does it burn ? "

According to what I have found out by researching- Black Birch is excellent. A lot better than white birch. Get it!

how does grey birch compare to white birch? I have been told that using birch is not favorable because it burns hot and fast... but there is ALOT of it on the property we cut on so I have really been eyeing it...

jeff123 said:
How about black birch, a friend has cut down a bunch of trees he claims is black birch, how does it burn ?

Black Birch or "Cherry Birch" as we call it around here is very good fuelwood. It may burn a little on the faster side (not too much), but it burns slower than White Birch and it throws more heat. It is excellent for kindling as it ignites very easily, also. And it has a terrific "wintergreen" aroma to it; use it if you have the chance!

CowboyAndy said:
how does grey birch compare to white birch? I have been told that using birch is not favorable because it burns hot and fast... but there is ALOT of it on the property we cut on so I have really been eyeing it...
Grey birch and white birch are comparable, they even look alike. Both are fine firewoods though for me, they soot up a bit more than most other hardwoods in the early stages of a burn, probably because of the high volatile oil content in the bark. Black and yellow birch are excellent firewoods, good long burning woods approaching oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.