How would you go about this install? So many options!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redmanlcs

Burning Hunk
Nov 20, 2017
West Virginia
I'm currently living in an older mobile home without a working furnace. My only source of heat is a wood stove. I removed a window, covered the outside and inside with metal, and ran my stovepipe through it. It goes vertical from my stove 3' then an elbow angled slightly upwards out through the metal. Its 3' almost horizontal to outside to another elbow then straight up about 6'. It works and I stay warm. The minor issues I currently have is rain will run down the horizontal portion and drip on my stove/floor, especially during the summer when the stove is not in use. The horizontal portion loves to collect ash and I have to take the pipe apart every few months to clean it out. Its not really that bothersome, but could be better. Its definitely not code, but where I live there aren't really any codes to speak of, as many people out here live in old chicken houses converted into 1 room shacks. (no not kidding).

I am unemployed. I mow grass and do odd jobs to pay the electric and water. I wanted to run the pipe up through the roof, but the cost of enough double wall, or triple wall pipe, and the ceiling support box and roof boot that I priced was around 300 dollars. That is why I have my current stove set up the way it is. I know its not the safest way, but the only way I could manage to keep warm.

Here is my question. We have an opportunity to move into a much nicer mobile home. It has nice carpet throughout. It is a pretty nice place with a heat-pump, which I won't be able to run, so I'm going to bring my wood stove with me. One of my family members wants to move in with us, and will buy whatever I need to install the wood stove. This home has been broken into on several occasions by a certain neighbor, which is why the owner decided to move out, so whatever I do, I have to make sure its not opening up an easy entry point for thieves. I could run the pipe through the roof like it should be, but I'm wondering if there is really anything in the ceiling to support the box, or the framing for the support box. I could pop out a window and run it like I did here in my current home, but the living room has very nice carpet and It don't need black sooty rainwater dripping on it, or the heat from the stove melting the carpet, or catching it on fire. The kitchen has vinyl carpet where I would like to place the stove, on top of a fire barrier of course, but there are no windows in the kitchen, just a sliding patio door. In the kitchen it would have to go through the roof, or out through the sliding door. Im thinking I could open the sliding door all the way, frame it up and cover it with metal, and run pipe through there similar to what I have now. If there is enough lumber in the roof to make the support box sturdy, I'm all for the "out the roof" method. If I go through the patio door, I may be creating an easy entry point for thieves. Do you friends think there is enough to support a box in the ceiling? Ok, what about if my family member don't decide to come with us, and I have to go out the patio door? Anyone ever run a stove pipe out 1/2 a patio door?

Before you start bashing me for running a horizontal pipe, having too short a flue, or using an older vogelzang boxwood stove that everyone hates and or says is unsafe, or for running singlewall pipe through the wall, well I have to do what I have to do. Its worked for 4 years now and we aren't dead yet. I am adamant tho about clearances because I have seen way too many stoves catch things on fire that are too close. (Uncle used to store his wood right up near the rear of his stove, when one cold winter night the stack started smoking and if not for the fire alarm, probably would have burned his house down.)

How would a poor boy in the sticks install a wood stove in a nice mobile home with limited funds? Building a hearth is not an option, but I'd love to have one. I will figure something out. The stove has to go in one way or the other, as cheap as possible. Open to all opinions positive or negative. Lets hear what you have to say!

I have some pieces of double wall pipe from the stove we replaced. A 45, a three or 4 foot piece and maybe an 18 inch piece. Would that help You? I live in ny state just a matter of getting them down to you.

Its worked for 4 years now and we aren't dead yet
Past performance is no guarantee of the future. Chit can happen when one least expects it.

What you have described is unsafe, not to code and a poor, messy and temporary fix. We can tell you how to do things safely, but not how to jerry rig them. The safe and proper way to do this is with either a ceiling support box or in lieu of that, a cathedral ceiling support box. If the ceiling is supported by 2x4s or 2x6s it will work fine. If it is a cathedral ceiling then the roof will hold and support the cathedral support box. Regardless of method, stove pipe is only for the interior of the home. As soon as the pipe crosses the wall or ceiling it must be insulated class A chimney pipe.

Building a hearth is essential for this stove. It doesn't have to be fancy or costly, but it does need to be safe. In the least put a sheet of metal or 1/2" cement board on some bricks or 4" cement blocks.

PS: The VG box stove is not mobile home approved. If the house has a heat pump, why can't it be used?

The heat pump can not be used because my income is $100 per month. $100 has to pay for my water bill, electric bill, toiletries, etc. etc. All that I can sit aside for electric is around $60. I know my setup could be considered unsafe, or is unsafe, but that is all I have to work with.

Does a trailer have enough wood in the ceiling to support a ceiling box? That was my main question. I think it would be hard to frame up a support when all you have in the ceiling is 1x3s.

By the way, the stove im using you say is not "mobile home approved"...?.. actually is not approved for use at all in trailers or homes. The paperwork clearly stated "cabin, garage, or outdoor use only"... why did I pick this stove? I picked this one because it was $199 out the door while all the rest were over $1000 dollars. See income as $100 per month above.

My uncle has one just like mine, but at a drunken party at his house, someone spilled a can of beer on it, and the stove cracked down both sides. Yes he still uses it and he don't care to turn it cherry red. I would never let my stove get that hot.

Last edited:
The heat pump can not be used because my income is $100 per month. $100 has to pay for my water bill, electric bill, toiletries, etc. etc. All that I can sit aside for electric is around $60. I know my setup could be considered unsafe, or is unsafe, but that is all I have to work with.

Does a trailer have enough wood in the ceiling to support a ceiling box? That was my main question. I think it would be hard to frame up a support when all you have in the ceiling is 1x3s.
Yes you should be able to install a support box in the ceiling.

just did a bathroom in a mobile home it was a gut job. yes yo do have support up there.