How young to use chainsaw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyAndy

Feb 29, 2008
Chateaugay, NY
My boy is 9 and I wanted to get him into helping with the actual limbing/bucking of trees. Ryobi sells a 10" 18v saw that I was thinking of getting him for christmas. My wife thinks he is too young. What do you all think? Also, if I were to get it, where could I get child size safety chaps?

Listen to your wife. She knows your son better than we do.

Only if he's wearing full body safety gear. Tough decision to make man!

CowboyAndy said:
My boy is 9 and I wanted to get him into helping with the actual limbing/bucking of trees. Ryobi sells a 10" 18v saw that I was thinking of getting him for christmas. My wife thinks he is too young. What do you all think? Also, if I were to get it, where could I get child size safety chaps?
that ryobi torque is very low good set of chaps and arm shleves hed never cut through them.Father knows best on this one!

That's a tough call. I started using a chain saw at age 14, but that was before chain brakes (of any kind), or safety gear (of any kind). Today's saws are a lot safer and the gear that goes with them is as well.

With the right young man (or woman), I think it would be OK. But it's important to listen to your wife, I think.

With the right young man (or woman), I think it would be OK. But it's important to listen to your wife, I think.

Totally depends on the kid. I have a buddy who owns a large dairy farm. He has six kids :shut: from age four to age 18. I've watched all those kids drive heavy equipment and trucks before they could ride a bike. Hell, I went over one time to see his seven year old pushing corn silage up 30ft high in a bunker silo...one wrong turn either way and the tractor would roll down the side of the pile. He didn't.

It depends on the kid but I also wouldn't over rule the hen just for the sake of a saw.

I know others have said listen to your wife but I disagree on this. You if anyone knows of his capability when it comes to things like this it is you that man of the house. If we left everything up to our wives choice our boys would be running around in skirts and never see this under side of a car or even have a remote idea of hows things operate.

If safety measures have been reached in your comfort level and his then go for it. Now days way to many kids are coddled by parents and some of the most basic life skills of day to day functioning escapes them when they become adults. We have many neighbors around us and I doubt many of their kids even now how to change a light bulb. Let alone figure out how and what wattage of one to buy.

One thing I would advise on is after using said equipment it should still be treated as a loaded gun when you are away and it should be put out of his access so one would not go for it when say some friends are around so he could show them how it works. He needs to have your supervision with for sure.

After all every Sunday our local newspaper is filled with pictures of kids on their first hunting trips with what every they shot. And some of them are aged as low 6 and 7 years old. I seem to read and see news of adults shooting themselves hunting but cannot recall kid getting shot. Not saying it does not happen but these people seem to be successful at it with an equally dangerous device or more so.

I would err on the side of caution; the last thing you would want is for your son to be injured, or worse. There are many things he can do to help you without operating a chainsaw at the tender age of 9. One of the most important things you can do is stress to him the importance of safety when using that deadly appliance and how you'll teach him to use one when he's old enough to safely handle one. One more thing you need to keep in mind, many states (and I believe your state may be one) have laws prohibiting children from operating dangerous machinery. There are exemptions for families on farms, but if you're not on a farm there could be some potential issues if someone reported you or if your son had an accident. I would listen to your wife. You've got plenty of time to teach him how to use a chainsaw. For now, how about having him help clean up by dragging smaller limbs away. I bet you'll find he's a great helper.

Do you trust your son to run a circular saw? Two different saws but they have to same danger. Kick back and teeth that can do
alot of damage. Just something to think about.

ok this chainsaw he is talking about is a 18 volt roybi battery operaed you can cut 4-5 limbs with it 2 in and under per battery.

If this saw was electric (110volts ) or gas powered I would say no, but with a ryobi 18 volt battery saw I say go a head, give the boy good instruction and let him know the saw is always waiting to get him...I think you'll do fine. I gave my son the combination to my gun safe ( a big Browning medallion) at 12 and he never abused it.... I knew in my heart he never would....follow your heart

struggle said:
I know others have said listen to your wife but I disagree on this. You if anyone knows of his capability when it comes to things like this it is you that man of the house. If we left everything up to our wives choice our boys would be running around in skirts and never see this under side of a car or even have a remote idea of hows things operate.

If safety measures have been reached in your comfort level and his then go for it. Now days way to many kids are coddled by parents and some of the most basic life skills of day to day functioning escapes them when they become adults. We have many neighbors around us and I doubt many of their kids even now how to change a light bulb. Let alone figure out how and what wattage of one to buy.

One thing I would advise on is after using said equipment it should still be treated as a loaded gun when you are away and it should be put out of his access so one would not go for it when say some friends are around so he could show them how it works. He needs to have your supervision with for sure.

After all every Sunday our local newspaper is filled with pictures of kids on their first hunting trips with what every they shot. And some of them are aged as low 6 and 7 years old. I seem to read and see news of adults shooting themselves hunting but cannot recall kid getting shot. Not saying it does not happen but these people seem to be successful at it with an equally dangerous device or more so.

my girlsfriend's dad gave her a mcchullough 16" eager beaver from about 12 or 13 years ago when she was 8. it just depends how competent your kid is and how often you cut wood. she is still kickin so and cuts all the time. they are very outdoors'ie people though.

Dude , My sons are very dexterous my 13 year old works like hes a man .Im a builder and the kids have been working with me since they can walk They sail my 30' boat boat I would let them drive my Excavator or skid steer before i give them a chain saw . Ive seen really bad accident's with grown men . You cant put the parts back on when you cut them off . If he wants to help, home cheepo has a great branch snipper you could cut 2" branches with it it 30 bucks .Its way faster then a chain saw , I use it my self. If the kid can cut the branch

Dude , My sons are very dextress my 13 year old works like hes a man .Im a builder and the kids have been working with me since they can walk They sail my 30' boat boat I would let them drive my Excavator or skid steer before i give them a chain saw . Ive seen realy bad acedents with grown men . You cant put the parts back on when you cut them off . If he wants to help, home cheepo has a great branch snipper you could cut 2" branches with it it 30 bucks .Its way faster then a chain saw , I use it my self. If the kid can cut the branch

lanie (my girlfriend) was 8 when her dad gave her her first chain saw and by 10 she has pictures of her grading the drive way with a bobcat and doing all kinds of stuff like that. if you train them right it shouldnt be a problem. also its not like you would just give them a saw and tell them to go cut down trees for firewood by them selves. she mostly limbed the already down trees. just depends on whats socialy acceptable where you live, here thats jsut the way it is.

Everyone's situation is different, but ya know; as soon as something happens, it will be YOUR fault, and your wife will never let you forget it... :down:

I'm actually jealous. My 12 yo has no interest in the chainsaw. I had to push the issue this year with the lawn mower.

Chris

"I had to push the issue this year with the lawn mower"

Did you end up doing the pushing...........that is the lawn mower :roll:

Maybe I gave the wrong advice yesterday in this thread. I did say I had given my son the combination to my $1100 Browning Gun Safe, which held all my rifles, shot guns, pistols and revolvers and reloads. He was 12, but I did fail to mention that he came willingly to a firearm saftey coarse of 24 hours of range safety and took the the hunters 18 hour safety coarse in proper weapon handling and safe proceedures. He had fired all these weapons many times and was made to strip and clean them after firing. He is Law School Now, but I just knew he was a candidate for that trust. My younger boy, although I love him just the same, is a danger to himself mostly and has never got the combination to the gun safe, even though he has always came to the range with me and my oldest boy and fired everything under the sun.

So I do make my qualification...Children differ, and one should never give them more than they can handle safely.

Everyone’s situation is different, but ya know; as soon as something happens, it will be YOUR fault, and your wife will never let you forget it…

I agree with Redox. You will destroy your relationship with the wife if he gets hurt. Plus you will never forgive yourself for letting him get hurt. You are supposed to protect a child. Let him be a child and wait. The time will come soon enough. This isnt coddling its just showing good judgement. There are plenty of other things he can do.

I'm with wellbuilt.

I'd let a 9 year old run my backhoe long before I'd let one use a chainsaw.

If you have to ask, it's probably not a good idea.

Then again, I'm the kind of uncle that teaches 7 year olds to drive a car offroad. (No I didn't ask permission)

Wouldn't even consider it if they don't make good quality safety gear in his size.

Status
Not open for further replies.