Howling sound coming from insert when closing off air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drew3308

Oct 8, 2019
Michigan
I recently had a Regency i2400 installed and have a very noticeable howl coming from the insert when closing off the air. It is even louder on windy days. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I first noticed when I didn't even have a fire lit and the air was closed off and it almost sounded like a boat horn going off every now and then.

Chimney is around is around 25 ft high in a traditional 2 story home.

I recently had a Regency i2400 installed and have a very noticeable howl coming from the insert when closing off the air. It is even louder on windy days. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I first noticed when I didn't even have a fire lit and the air was closed off and it almost sounded like a boat horn going off every now and then.

I have experienced something similar. I asked around on this site and I was told it is probably draft related. My chimney is also 22+ feet high.

I really only notice it on pretty windy days, it isn't a huge deal since I can open up the air when not in use. Once the fan kicks on it isn't as noticeable but it is still kind of annoying.

There is a round hole about 1/2" diameter I believe it is behind the blower housing. A peice of foil tape over it with a 1/4" hole poked in it fixes it

Can you post a pic of the hole and it’s location when you try it please?