How's your stove holding up to the frigid temps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toasty ..

Reactions: St_Earl
Kept the Big E on 3 all day, got up to 24 here today, currently 15 F outside, 71 inside...using 2 bags of Barefoot's a day
How are the barefoots working for you.

Below zero here on New Year's Eve, in mid-Maine. Stove on 3, burned 2 bags today. I expect to burn 2.5 bags/day for these real cold days thru Saturday. Interestingly, 2.5bags is roughly equal to 6 gallons of heating oil, which is what I used to burn on really cold days pre-stove.
Wow you burn that much on a cold day? What power setting are you using and how many square feet are you trying to heat? My Palazzetti heating 1450 square foot 2X4 wall cape cod home, on auto power level 3 and has never used more than a bag a day.

Reactions: boomhour
Negitive 10 degree in central Maine today, Harman Accnetra insert with wireless therm installed. I have the therm set with a 2 deg swing set at 73. Kicks on for about 10min, and off for about 8, always on maint burn. VERY pleased with this work horse. Will burn just under 1 and 1/2 bags today im sure. Happy New Year

Wow you burn that much on a cold day? What power setting are you using and how many square feet are you trying to heat? My Palazzetti heating 1450 square foot 2X4 wall cape cod home, on auto power level 3 and has never used more than a bag a day.
Haha, for my stove to burn 1 bag a day, that bag would have to be 100 pounds! Anyhow, I've got 1700 sq ft of open floor space, but it's all vaulted, with the great room 26 ft high, so it's a lot of volume. Factoring the open loft, it'd be equivalent to well over 2800 sq ft lofted. Even where there are ceilings, like in the dining area, we're talking 10 ft high.

Happy New Year! Been pretty chilly here, below -20C not including wind chill factor. Supposed to be -38C tonight with wind. Using about 2 to 2.5 full bags a day on setting two on Eco-65, no thermostat. Hasn't let us down. The electric bboards would have a hard time keeping up and it just wouldn't be warm in here. Ran on setting three the other day and Mr. VIBErator made me turn it down. Stay warm!

2 quadrafire Santa Fe's in my small rancher, one in the finished basement, one first floor. 1 bag a day keeps it 68, bedrooms colder at 63 - which is good. Have not run my heat pump at all, and hope to remain off the grid this winter. burned over a ton so far. THis weekend projected to be 0-5degrees at night, I'm ready!

Been around 5-10 at night and high teens low 20s during the day. running about 1-1 /2 bags a day house at 72. The real test is this weekend projected to be -15 to -20.

At least none of us lives here :eek:

effingcold.jpg

Reactions: briansol and AGPNY
I need a bigger hopper!!

On a setting of 7 or 8 this stove really eats pellets.

Haha, for my stove to burn 1 bag a day, that bag would have to be 100 pounds! Anyhow, I've got 1700 sq ft of open floor space, but it's all vaulted, with the great room 26 ft high, so it's a lot of volume. Factoring the open loft, it'd be equivalent to well over 2800 sq ft lofted. Even where there are ceilings, like in the dining area, we're talking 10 ft high.
That's a lot of space for one stove to heat, now I see why you are going through more than two bags a day. How many BTU's is the Piazzetta putting out? Do you run in auto or a specific power level?

That's a lot of space for one stove to heat, now I see why you are going through more than two bags a day. How many BTU's is the Piazzetta putting out? Do you run in auto or a specific power level?
Edit: bad math the first time lol
Your Piazzetta is putting out less than 15000, btus an hour on average....his would be more than double that.

You are doing awesome and he is doing probably about what the average user would burn

I'm burning about 2.5 bags per day, home is about 68 which is good for us. Its going to get even colder the next few days in NH so keeping it cranked up. Its great having a fire constantly burning on a cold, snowy day.

I filled up my PB105 this morning and heard a noise from inside the boiler. It was the water boiling. The water temp was 190 but apparently hotter right near the flame. I had to turn it down just a little.

Right now, it's below zero this morning, and the stove is running on Power5, which means about 5.7lbs/hr, or 47k btus. The stove initially only burned about 5lbs/hr, but small tweaks have upped the feed rate to its rated capacity. The stove has a thermostat, with what seems like a 2 degree swing. Once it gets to the set temp, the Power level drops to Power1, which is about 1.3lbs/hr. I used to run it on an energy saving mode, which would shut the stove down under certain conditions, but lately because of the cold, there's no energy saving mode possible!

2000 Enviro EF-4 insert, no thermostat. Burning Barefoots and keeping the house around 70° with 1.75 bags a day.

These next couple of cold days will really test this beast out. Haven't touched the oil yet and plan to keep it that way. Will still need another ton to get through February but it seems a total of 4 tons will get me through the winters without needing oil.

I gave in my geothermal system is close to losing ground with these temps ( by design ) I fired up the pellet stove this morning I will probably run it until I go to bed. Rather do that then have the electric coil come on. Locked out the higher stage of the geothermal system so it basically puts out ~30btu and then add in the pellet stove running on low.

It's pretty cold here -42c with wind chill. I just turned Eco-65 stove up to setting 4 of 6. Wondering if its "safe" to run on this setting for an extended period. I'm guessing it must be. Both hot and cold water pipes were frozen this morning even though I left the cupboard doors open.

Status
Not open for further replies.