HPWH connections to tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoilerMan

Minister of Fire
Apr 16, 2012
Northern Maine
I've finally bought my HPWH add-on unit. VERY impressed so-far. I will be scientifically monitoring the kWh consumption and doing a cold-hot tank real world efficiency calculation with a 100% cold fill and mixing in the 115 gallon tank. I did a fast-n-cheap install with some stuff I had in my box, but will be doing real install after the proving time.

Any advice as to where the best location is to connect to a large vertical tank? I've got it in a tapping about 6" off the bottom of the tank and simply sweated a T into the hot outlet on top as this was fast, but not ideal. Should I utilize a tapping about a foot above the one I'm currently drawing water from to inject the "warm" water. The internal Grundfos pump moves too much water now and if the unit is running I get cold out of the tap. This is due to the T in the HOT line out of the indirect.

The installation pics on-line show a concentric T they used to retrofit an electric water heater, I was wondering if injecting the water low was better or if they just did that for universal compatibility and easy install.

TS

I've found the answer to my inquiry. Nyle systems says to connect both as low as allowable (taps available) or use their dip tube and T assembly which I don't need.

TS

Good to hear!

I've been very impressed with the electrical consumption on mine (E-Tech).

I'll be getting to try a Nyletherm (long story) soon. It will be interesting to compare the two.

K

The original injector was a concentric pipe that would be installed in the drain at the bottom of most tanks.
If you do not have that injector, you still should tee into the drain and some other location on top or side of the tank.
If you are at the top, you will eventually heat the whole tank, which is a good thing in most cases.

If you use a unit and solely tee into the top two plumbing connections, the unit will short circuit the hot water draw and not take any heat from the tank.

Water, like electrons, follows the path of least resistance.

I plumbed my Geyser to draw from the bottom drain of the DHW tank and feed back near the top.
It heats the whole tank very effectively.
I'm sure the bottom drain method specified by Nyle is the best option for a simple installation, rather than the most effective.

I felt the same way, but really cannot see any difference between the two in actual performance.
I think the tank heats quicker your way (and mine--I plumb it the same way with electric tanks.)
Did just install one into one of our unpressurized tanks. That is even simpler. Just two lines, one top and one bottom,
pumping unpressurized tank water. No scale issues there.

Status
Not open for further replies.