HT2000 Stovepipe Connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Longknife

Burning Hunk
Oct 12, 2016
Eastern Ontario, Canada
After getting the stove into my basement a few months ago, I finally got some new pipe to hook it up.

As per the picture, with the male end of the single wall pipe, there's a sizable gap to the stove collar at the seam. My current stove pipe on my current stove doesn't have a reduced male end in the stove collar, just straight pipe.

Should I try and bend this to get it to fit tighter, or should I cut the male end off and just put in the straight pipe (I tried with the female end, and it would be a tight fit to try and get it in, maybe not even possible without it bending)? I need to take a few inches off of the pipe anyway, and I'd prefer doing it on the end that won't be showing.

Alternatively, do I need some kind of stove top adapter for a tighter fit?

Thanks,

IMG_20200423_004146.jpg

That little gap isn't that bad, just insert some screws and call it a day, if you get a whistle from the vacuum sucking in then you can take some the stove gasket and put it in-between and re-screw to hold in place.

D32D03E9-23B8-44F6-8073-D1D03AFEFBA9.jpeg
I used a stove pipe adapter, I think it looks much better that way.

Reactions: Mech e
Drolet does make a single-wall connector - SP00350 , not sure about the fit in the flue collar with this part. Ask Drolet.

Or just take some flat door glass gasket and use it to fill the gap.

That joint and every joint should be as leak free as possible/practical. I have found that appliance collars are not standardized so sometimes you need an adapter and sometimes you don’t. In your situation I would get the adapter.

Oh and make sure that there isn’t a blob of weld in the stove that’s causing trouble.

Drolet does make a single-wall connector - SP00350 , not sure about the fit in the flue collar with this part. Ask Drolet.

Or just take some flat door glass gasket and use it to fill the gap.
I sent Drolet an email and they just said to use the crimped (male) end of the single wall like I was doing... no mention of dealing with gaps or buying a collar adapter.

That joint and every joint should be as leak free as possible/practical. I have found that appliance collars are not standardized so sometimes you need an adapter and sometimes you don’t. In your situation I would get the adapter.

Oh and make sure that there isn’t a blob of weld in the stove that’s causing trouble.
Pretty sure it's just out of round from me muscling the seam together, plus the irregularity of the seam itself. I try adjusting it, I was just hoping for someone with a similiar expereicne with this exact stove and pipe.

Thanks,