Hubby Tried refilling. Hardy with water water leaking bad inside thru Plenum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
was at other home for a yr. Then I moved back last yr.
supposedly last use of Hardy was in winter late 2018. Hubby emptied and did all he was sup to to winterize Hardy. Now he was attempting to refill Hardy from Outside rw I had stored.
well when he went in basement it was running or dripping badly at least four spots around the neatly wrapped professionally installed wrapped with Reflix etc plenum. What a mess to clean up mop and now drying room floor
I told him I bet $20 that little bit of waterr sitting in the inside coil made leaks. He thinks it split and froze. even though there is a propane small heater close by in the small room....
. He just pulled down the Reflective stuff for now. He needs to get in the neatly done area... and check
He called a Hardy rep.... rep said Hardy went out of business.... so hopefully Hubby will check soon and inspect the coil....
anyone ever had such a problem?
Thanks y'all

Those heat exchangers/coils will not drain. You've got to pump antifreeze through them. Sounds like it froze.
You'll most likely have to replace it. Coils are readily available online in lots of sizes. It's not a Hardy-specific part.

Reactions: sloeffle
Those heat exchangers/coils will not drain. You've got to pump antifreeze through them. Sounds like it froze.
You'll most likely have to replace it. Coils are readily available online in lots of sizes. It's not a Hardy-specific part.
He found one "slit" so far after he took it out of the plenum.....

ah he took. it to a friend he tried fixing it but more leaks.... so it looks nice a new coil is needed unfortunately
thanks all