Humidifier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
are there any of these you can hookup to a water line to avoid refilling every day?

does the humidity distribute throughout the house, or mostly stay in the room with the humidifier?

are there any of these you can hookup to a water line to avoid refilling every day?

does the humidity distribute throughout the house, or mostly stay in the room with the humidifier?
Yes the ones that mount right ot your furnace have a water line hookup, portable ones do not . humid air (any air)It follows the air current in which every house is a chimney, cold air gets in the first floor and some in the second floor and warm air goes out the top or 3rd floor. Lots of humidity sources in every home if you can keep the air in long enough. While showering I fogged up the bathroom mirror last night just by blocking off the bath vent which we dont use in winter. previously the moist air just went right out the vent even with the fan off.

I gave up. A regular humidifier takes constant filling. Iv just tried to live with it ,the 2 dozen plants and 2 fish aquariums in the house help probably a few gallons a day. Also we vent the dryer inside in winter,good for heat as well and a huge help.

SO, how do you vent your dryer inside? Seems like a cheap source of recaptured heat and humidity, we have an electric dryer BTW.

SO, how do you vent your dryer inside? Seems like a cheap source of recaptured heat and humidity, we have an electric dryer BTW.
I just remove the 4" exhaust hose from the outside vent, close up the vent .And route the hose into the hallway with a stocking over it to capture the lint that sometimes escapes. Warms and humidifies the whole 3rd floor(1000SF) when the dryer is running. A better setup would be to get the warm moist air into the basement where it would travel up thru the whole house.(3 floors) A more permanent inside venting could be done as well. In summer the humidity is already high and who needs the extra heat so i vent back outside.

Reactions: Sodbuster
House gets more comfortable every day as i block off air leaks. Feels warmer,less drafts ,humidity going up ,furnace runs less.

Thanks for all of the replies guys....I went with a Vornado EVDC 500

I also went with the Vornado, and man does it pump out the water. Have to fill it twice a day. It's rated for 1000 sq ft, so I may need to buy one more. So far I'm happy with it, easy to fill, and pumps out the juice. It's quiet too. I've needed to keep in on constant run mode because I'm asking it to do more than it was intended. Wondering if switching to an OAK would help, so I'm not pulling in so much dry winter air for combustion. Will have to play around with it.

Reactions: yooper08
I am approx. 3 weeks in using the Vornado....man what a difference! I was waking up so dried out it wasn't funny. That is gone!
Sodbuster....I feel I need to get a second one as well with close to 2000 sq. ft here. Installing a OAK on my stove made a huge difference in my home...prior to the OAK you could feel a pronounced draft across the floor...it is gone now with the installation of the OAK....

Reactions: Sodbuster
Ok guys I have to do something about this dry air in my home...suggestions?

Dry? How dry? What is your hygrometer reading?

Normal for a house is debatable, but many sources put it between 35% and 50%. If your house is within that range, quite frankly, I would do nothing.

Thanks for all of the replies guys....I went with a Vornado EVDC 500

If it's half as good as the Vornado fan I have you won't be disappointed. I can't remember off hand what kind my humidifier is but it's not a wick style. I run 1.5 gallons every two days out of it though.

I picked up a vornado as well. Thank god it's a quiet unit cause it runs non stop.

Dry? How dry? What is your hygrometer reading?

Normal for a house is debatable, but many sources put it between 35% and 50%. If your house is within that range, quite frankly, I would do nothing.
My hygrometer was my extremely dry nose and throat upon wakening...this has ceased since the addition of the humidifier.