Humidifier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
Does anyone use one to keep the house at a certain level of humidity? I have a new born and the doctor says to keep it around 55%. After running the stove for a few straight days the house was down to 41% it's an enviro insert so I can't put a lot on it. The part sticking out of the chimney doesn't seem to get hot enough where the water would steam off.

Lots of people do. If you have an older house and no outside air supply for the insert, it is easy to get to 30% or lower RH in the winter because you are pulling in a lot of dry cold air for combustion.

I run a humidifier pretty much full time in the winter, but I burn 24x7 also.

Does anyone use one to keep the house at a certain level of humidity? I have a new born and the doctor says to keep it around 55%. .
You may have to run a humidifier to bring it backup.Too low humidity will allow you to get sick easier. A better solution may be to install an OAK to the stove if there isnt one installed already. So you can keep from drawing too much dry air into your house. There are a lot of moisture sources in the average house ,but if its leaky the air exchange will drop the humidity to too low levels. My own leaky house goes down into the 30s RH when it gets very cold.

55%? You will have condensation on your windows in the winter if you can get to 55%rh!

55%? You will have condensation on your windows in the winter if you can get to 55%rh!
I just checked and coincidentally we're at 55% RH right now. 40-50% is pretty common for our house, especially with 85-95% outdoor relative humidity. No condensation. Below freezing we will see a little in the corners of the one small single pane window.
Humidifier

Last edited:
I just checked and coincidentally we're at 55% RH right now. 40-50% is pretty common for our house, especially with 85-95% outdoor relative humidity. No condensation. Below freezing we will see a little in the corners of the one small single pane window.
View attachment 234116

I have a Davis too. Love my Vantage Pro2. It replaced my Vantage Pro which ran faithfully for over 15 years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Davis too. Love my Vantage Pro2. It replaced my Vantage Pro which ran faithfully for over 15 years
We've had it since about 2006?. The whole system just went back to the factory last summer for a rebuild and recalibration. It's working great.

View attachment 234116
Nice I will have to get on of those. What I meant to say is during the winter when the air is dry outside and the RH is lower keeping the inside of the house at 55%RH will most likely cause some condensation to form on the windows. I think 40-50% is ideal

We've had it since about 2006?. The whole system just went back to the factory last summer for a rebuild and recalibration. It's working great.
Would you have a link or more information on your Davis system? Thanks

You don't need a weather station to monitor humidity. I buy the cheapest digital hygrometer that specifically says that it can be calibrated. You can calibrate 'em at 75 with a ziploc bag, a small cup, table salt, and water. Add a small piece of duct tape if it is a larger probe type that won't fit in the bag.

I don't want to discourage anyone from getting a weather station, which is cool, educational, and can often feed data to open weather sites like wunderground- but if you just want to check indoor RH, you can do that for about $10.

I quit running bathroom fans and the microwave fan in the winter. Any moisture created from showering and cooking is staying in the house.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsam
She didn't give a real reasoning and I didn't bother asking why. I'll just keep an eye on it when the stove is constantly running and use the two small ones I have. One of which is in the kids room.