Humidity Levels and comfort

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I bought a new thermometer so I can get outside and inside temp on one display. Both the old and new thermometers have integrated indoor hygrometers in them but they display significantly different results (although the temps display near identical). The new one says 21% and the old one says 34%. The online weather page I use says the outside humidity is 58% for whatever that is worth. How can I figure out which is more accurate?

And then, regardless of methods used to generate humidity, what humidity level or increase will make a noticeable difference? 10% increase? I know 34% is dry.

humidity and comfort realy vary between people. The humidity around my house this time of year rarley gets above 10% and its usally 4-5%. The house stays at a comfortable 38% with the aquarium going. 38% works for us, and there is a noticable difference between 38% and 6%. you can still leave potato chips open for weeks before they go stale.

What then would be a reccomended humidity for living space?

35 to 40 percent is recommended. On really cold days, I find I get condensation if I go higher than 40%. Also keeps furniture and wood flooring joints from opening up.

I have noticed that even looking at a stack of hygrometers on the store shelf, they seem to be +/- 10% at best. I don't know if the more expensive ones are any better. I'm sure the weather channel is the most accurate, but it may be different for your area.

I guess the ideal way would be to take wet and dry bulb thermometer readings then find you a little site in the internet which can convert those readings to RH.

http://members.nuvox.net/~on.jwclymer/wet.html

This will give you a good starting point and should be fairly accurate. It's pretty easy to measure temperature accurately...a little harder for RH.

As to what RH is "good" it depends on the temp and personal preference a lot. There is also "good for comfort" and "good for health" I have read that when the RH starts getting above 50%, it is easier for mold and mildew to grow and dust mites have a field day.

Corey

cozy heat for my feet said:
There is also "good for comfort" and "good for health" I have read that when the RH starts getting above 50%, it is easier for mold and mildew to grow and dust mites have a field day.

Corey

This is true. Try to stay below the 50 percent range.

Status
Not open for further replies.