Humidity revisted.........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
Two things seem to be being addressed here, .......E.S.D. and Humidity (which go hand in hand, obviously).

From the "E.S.D." side.......I teach a class (have taught thousands of people, literally, the basic priniciples of E.S.D. and the dangers involved) on this. If you want to reduce E.S.D., you avoid certain types of materials, and you INCREASE the humidity. In other words, there's a fine balance between having ENOUGH humidity and have too MUCH humidity.

E.S.D. is only a hassle in the home, from the point of view of getting "zapped' all the time. It's not a danger necessarily to you at 2,000 D.C. Volts (the level at which you can see, hear and feel an E.S.D. charge).

Any tool that helps to balance out the humidity in a home, is an added plus, regardless of manufacturer.

-Soupy1957

Gio said:
Back a while I recall seeing a related thread. Please forgive me if this has already been mentioned but it`s worth seeing again and a quick visit to this link below will bring to light a significantly important reason to install an OAK .

http://www.askthebuilder.com/B103_H...perature_Indoor-Outdoor_Humidity_Tables.shtml
Thanks for the charts. Nice to have objective data available when you are trying to discuss this issue. There are far too many people that just blow off the concept of needing OAK and maintaining home humidity levels. Worse yet, so many dealers and installer never bring either issue up when discussing a new stove purchase or install. Look at the brochures that are put out by the manufacturers. Rare to see anything in those. OAK is usually mentioned in the installation manual, but the subject of humidity seems to be left out all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.