(humor) Overfired stove with pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick06

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 27, 2008
media, pa
Found this on the internet. Looks like someone overfired their stove!

forest-52.jpg

But it was from a bunch of guys camping in russia... at -20F, so maybe thats not that big of a deal!

(A word of warning, the site has some ads that show, PG-13 pictures. ) original article: http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2011/01/13/unforgettable-vacation-in-karelia/ )

I am rarely near my stove... sure might have over fired it and just never knew it... but thats a serious overfiring situation!

Rick

WOW! almost a see thru stove. A C

Wow! And it looks like it's right up against a tree.

In five years on this sight, that is the best pic I have seen. Thank you.

I guess warranty is shot now.

yeah, I thought it was pretty neat. A few more from that article,

forest-24.jpg

forest-35.jpg

Love the double wall pass through with the plastic wall. Should pass code inspection, no?

Ya do what ya gotta do. When ya gotta do it.

Looks just like my setup here- fire department had no issues so why should I :)

How did the plastic tarp NOT melt/catch fire?!

All those pictures are interesting! Wish there was more.

BrowningBAR said:
How did the plastic tarp NOT melt/catch fire?!
How do you think they made the whole?

Reason, logic and everything else sometimes don't ever come into the equation. Like when I am at the deer lease. Everybody else goes to be in the hut with the propane heater burning. Me, I go back outside and wrap up in the sleeping bag in the back of the Suburban. Come morning they are still alive but I don't know why.

But I go in there to get warm for breakfast.

Holy crap, he spent 20 days in that set up?

My Dad used to have a barrel stove in his shop and it would glow like that almost anytime there was a fire in it. Stove lasted many years before it rotted out. Hindsite 20-20 putting firebrick in it would have made it last much longer, but we didn't know about it then. This was before internet and all these fancy forums.

The cheap boxstove he has in there now will get dull red at times when there is a good fire going.

I got a stovepipe bright red once too. Was sleeping at a camp on the lake and the draft damper spun wide open in the middle of the night. Woke up with the whole place shaking, sounded like a 747 taking off!

Clearance to combustible? Not at -20C. Looks like a pretty nifty stainless box stove with a turbo charger on front. Makes a great nightlight too.

I am under the impression that a stove is not supposed to look like that?

I looked through the linked story.
Great time he must have had out there, what an adventure!!

The stove looks like relatively thin-walled stainless steel - no wonder it was glowing.

On a different note, he was definitely a sportsman of style and distinction. He uses a double rifle!!

Cheers
Tinker

I think there is a little light trickery to enhance the "glow". Hunter camp stoves if over loaded can glow like that, but I wouldn't want to do it intentionally. That looks a lot like a stove made in Idaho today.

I have to admit, I have let my stove get away from me in the past. Once when I was in Washington, I had a "homemade" verticle barrel type stove. Guy knew what he was doing. It was made from the high pressure steam pipe from a retro fit at the Bremerton Ship yards. One night I stocked the shop stove, and took a phone call, it was wide open and I got carried away catching up with an old friend. When I went back into the shop, the only light was the 5/8th inch steel of the stove glowing dull red to cherry. I was burning a mix of old growth cedar and old Doug fir. Learned my lesson. Closing the primary and waiting two hours brought it back, but it eliminated any creosote in the flue. :red:

Any bets if the wood was dry or not? I'm betting under 50% moisture content. Also burning the house down is not so much a problem as MELTING it. lol

That is a wicked cool photo! Looks like no warping when it cooled, either. I know a lot of guys who go "hot tent" camping like that, and their stoves look beat to hell. Maybe that's one of those titanium models that supposedly can take the heat without damage? If so, I want one. ;-)

littlesmokey said:
I think there is a little light trickery to enhance the "glow". Hunter camp stoves if over loaded can glow like that, but I wouldn't want to do it intentionally. That looks a lot like a stove made in Idaho today.

I have to admit, I have let my stove get away from me in the past. Once when I was in Washington, I had a "homemade" verticle barrel type stove. Guy knew what he was doing. It was made from the high pressure steam pipe from a retro fit at the Bremerton Ship yards. One night I stocked the shop stove, and took a phone call, it was wide open and I got carried away catching up with an old friend. When I went back into the shop, the only light was the 5/8th inch steel of the stove glowing dull red to cherry. I was burning a mix of old growth cedar and old Doug fir. Learned my lesson. Closing the primary and waiting two hours brought it back, but it eliminated any creosote in the flue. :red:

I don't think the photo is enhanced. It's just thin stainless steel. Folks here see their stainless baffles glowing like that when they get hot. My old Ashley glowed regularly on the sides on cold New England nights. That puppy is hot. I suspect it's designed to burn anything, including green wood.

I started looking up stainless stoves and came across some fun videos from Kifaru which makes camping teepees and stoves. This is a typical setup. About 3:50 he shows some night time burning. Check out the stack exhaust. No creosote there:

I got a steel stove looking just about like that once, and it wasn't thin sheet metal like that one is. Passed out after a nice romantic evening with the future Lady BK. Woke up nearly choking with the heat. I went out into the living room and the beast was glowing to beat the band. The thing stayed red for a long time after I shut the air all the way.

I used to go to my GFs family camp when I was a kid and we would make out by the glow of the stove, an old pot-belly of some sort. I wonder if that place is still standing. The family room was small and I'll bet the clearances were not followed. All I know is getting the stove that hot made her eager to shed her clothes, that's all I really cared about.

I wonder if there is a correlation between over-fired stoves and children being born about nine months later? :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.