Hungry Hearthstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 23, 2015
LI, NY
Hi I recently installed a used hearthstone homestead that seems to be consuming wood faster than it should. I have a feeling the gaskets may need replacing. I have noticed when the bottom is full of ash I get decent burn times but like tonight after I shoveled it out and cleared the grate the fire roared and burned right through a full load in no time. Any thoughts?

The homestead doesn't have an ashpan door that latches like other stoves, it's a pan that is simply a friction fit. It relies completely on the gasket, and I guess partly on the floor grate.
Have you replaced the gasket? Is the grate in the closed position? Unfortunately most of these are warped and no longer spin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stove gaskets in excellent condition our priceless as they pay for themselves many times over in wood saved and wood cost $$, on most stoves replacements are inexpensive and a easy task for anyone to do.

I know of but am not really familiar with your model however on many stoves what you are mentioning indicates a need for new gaskets as too much air is entering the stove and wasting your fuel as well as possibly making the stove more difficult to control.

Could you have air entering somewhere in the bottom area that should not be, ash door, side door or something of that nature.

I ordered a gasket set but has not arrived yet. Any thoughts on flue damper for this stove. The chimney has 6" ss liner and is approximately 20' tall.

Stove gaskets in excellent condition our priceless as they pay for themselves many times over in wood saved and wood cost $$, on most stoves replacements are inexpensive and a easy task for anyone to do.

I know of but am not really familiar with your model however on many stoves what you are mentioning indicates a need for new gaskets as too much air is entering the stove and wasting your fuel as well as possibly making the stove more difficult to control.

Could you have air entering somewhere in the bottom area that should not be, ash door, side door or something of that nature.

My theory is that it is the ash drawer is letting air through because when the stove is full of ash covering the grate I get a good burn. If the stove is clean and grate is clear it burns a load in no time flat.

My theory is that it is the ash drawer is letting air through because when the stove is full of ash covering the grate I get a good burn. If the stove is clean and grate is clear it burns a load in no time flat.
Sounds it, keep ash in the box until you get your new gasket.

Yep, makes lots of sense, if you can may as well keep the ash level high/full in it until a new gasket is installed.

A flue damper is not recommended, there's no real need unless your flue is really tall.

Is the bottom grate in the closed position?

Best I can tell. The grate doesn't make a complete seal though
Not typically after they warp.. it's a secondary safety though. Hearthstone wants the grate closed when the stove is burning. Many people don't bother then the grate warps once the gasket on the pan goes bad.

You are confident that the pan is being pushed all the way in? It takes a little extra efffort to make that final inch or so. Have you verified that there's no debris built up in the back of the pan housing that's preventing the pan from going all the way in?

A flue damper is not recommended, there's no real need unless your flue is really tall.

Is the bottom grate in the closed position?

Would add that a damper is normally used only as a last resort if there is excessive chimney draw.

You are confident that the pan is being pushed all the way in? It takes a little extra efffort to make that final inch or so. Have you verified that there's no debris built up in the back of the pan housing that's preventing the pan from going all the way in?

Pretty sure but I will check tomorrow when it is cool.

I would change the gasket to be safe. It's simple, no cement required either!

And in case you didn't know, Hearthstone stoves are wood hungry beasts! Even with good gaskets.

Not typically after they warp.. it's a secondary safety though. Hearthstone wants the grate closed when the stove is burning. Many people don't bother then the grate warps once the gasket on the pan goes bad.

They want the grate closed because if it is open then you can not close the door to the ash pan. There is a bar that blocks it from opening. The grade is nothing more than rough cast iron, no sealing happening there. The seal is on the door, which may be failed causing the issue. The pan is shaped like a shovel so it will scoop out any accumulated debris (except maybe nails).

And in case you didn't know, Hearthstone stoves are wood hungry beasts! Even with good gaskets.
Raising my hand to confirm this.

They want the grate closed because if it is open then you can not close the door to the ash pan. There is a bar that blocks it from opening. The grade is nothing more than rough cast iron, no sealing happening there. The seal is on the door, which may be failed causing the issue. The pan is shaped like a shovel so it will scoop out any accumulated debris (except maybe nails).
Some debris can still get stuck back there, it's worth a look.

On the older hearthstones, the Homestead included, did not have the bar that prevents the doors from closing with the grate in the open position.

They want to make sure the great is closed as a second line of defense if the gasket failed. It's not a perfect seal, but it will certainly slow it down.
The Homestead doesn't even have an ashpan door, the scoop/pan is the ashpan and the seal. There is a gasket channel made into it.

I must have an old model because I have no such bar. The ash pan is just drawer on the bottom of the stove and the grate is just circular thing with holes that rotates in its seat allowing ash to fall into the drawer

I must have an old model because I have no such bar. The ash pan is just drawer on the bottom of the stove and the grate is just circular thing with holes that rotates in its seat allowing ash to fall into the drawer
Correct. All Homesteads are this way.

Although my gaskets still have not arrived I have confirmed that is the issue. I held a lit match near the ash pan while closed and the flame was sucked towards it. I stuffed the gaps around the pan with Roxul for the time being and that has improved things. Thanks for help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because I thought that seal was iffy, we only used the ash pan a couple times, then left it alone and shoveled. I have never used it on the Mansfield.

Check your baffle. A damaged baffle will cause the burn cycle to be shortened and waste wood.