Heritage Ash Removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chuck1944

Nov 4, 2023
New York
I just purchased a 2023 Hearthstone IV model 8024 wood stove which replaced an old Hearthstone II that I used since 1985. The mode 8024 has a double grate for ash removal. To remove ash you need to open the ash door and grab a small cast handle and pull to open the bottom grate. Your choice is to either slide the grate back and forth to empty the fire box of ash or push the ash through both grates to the ash bin. The problem is small chips of ash jam up the holes in the two grates that prevent movement of the bottom grate to empty the ash or to even open or close the grate. Hearthstone does not recommend leaving the bottom grate open. The only way to empty the ash is via shovel or stop burning, cool, and then go into the fire box and remove any chips in the grate. Has any one experienced this problem and solved it. In my opinion this arrangement is a very poor design.

All ash pan grates and plugs are susceptible to this issue and a door stuck open can overfire the stove. I haven't used an ash pan since 09 due to this issue. My ash shovel is a steel dust pan.

Reactions: moresnow
I just purchased a 2023 Hearthstone IV model 8024 wood stove which replaced an old Hearthstone II that I used since 1985. The mode 8024 has a double grate for ash removal. To remove ash you need to open the ash door and grab a small cast handle and pull to open the bottom grate. Your choice is to either slide the grate back and forth to empty the fire box of ash or push the ash through both grates to the ash bin. The problem is small chips of ash jam up the holes in the two grates that prevent movement of the bottom grate to empty the ash or to even open or close the grate. Hearthstone does not recommend leaving the bottom grate open. The only way to empty the ash is via shovel or stop burning, cool, and then go into the fire box and remove any chips in the grate. Has any one experienced this problem and solved it. In my opinion this arrangement is a very poor design.
It is a poor design. Installing it is a pain too. It comes pre gasketed, but it doesn’t seal up, so their solution is to add a gasket to the existing gasket. It’s been this way since they started making the Ashpan an option. I never feel good about how they seal up. Very poor latch design…